Because there is so much at stake - and because we often feel like our children's grades reflect on our parental abilities - it's tough to stay calm and collected when our youngsters earn bad ones. Another factor making this subject so emotion-laden is its complexity. I've come to believe that the art and science of motivating children to do well in school is one of the most complicated and challenging known to humankind.
Fortunately, there are a handful of relatively simple and very powerful truths regarding this topic:
- When anger and frustration are present, motivation goes down.
- Experiment with saying, "I love you, and I bet these grades are really disappointing. Let me know how I can help."
- When control battles erupt, learning stops.
- This is why it's so important to say, "I will love you regardless of how happy or sad you make your own life. You need to decide what type of life to make for yourself."
- We can't make another person learn and achieve.
- All we can do is be good role models and provide help when they are interested.
- Positive relationships are highly motivating.
- When kids feel loved, they are always more likely to do well in school.
- Character serves as the foundation for success.
- Without good values and morals, kids will never reach their potential.
Over the past thirty years, we've seen case after case of parents who've decided to stop fighting with their children over grades. With the energy left over they began to rebuild the relationship and focus on raising good kids with great character. We've never had a parent tell us that they were sorry that they made this choice. If this sounds like a choice you're ready to make, attend my new online webinar, "I Hate School!" Techniques for Helping Underachieving Kids Fall in Love with Learning,
This exciting and informative two night session will broadcast:
Tuesday, April 6 from 7:00pm-8:00pm MDT
Thursday, April 8 from 7:00pm-8:00pm MDT
Thanks for reading!
Dr. Charles Fay
Dr. Charles Fay following the webinar.
For only $69.95 you'll receive two one hour LIVE webinar sessions (Tuesday, April 6 from 7:00pm-8:00pm MDT and Thursday, April 8 from 7:00pm-8:00pm, MDT) and a DVD dedicated to motivating underachieving kids that you can watch over and over.
The audio for this webinar will broadcast via your computer. Speakers or headphones are required. If you have questions or need more information please call our Customer Care Specialists at 800-338-4065. Webinar times are Mountain Daylight Time (MDT).
Minimum system requirements: computer speakers, high speed internet connection, cookies enabled in your web browser, Adobe Flash player. Click here
to test your system or visit this page
for details on system requirements.
For helpful tips, special promotions, and event announcements, follow Love and Logic®
and become a fan on Facebook.
If we have misspelled your name, or if this isn't you, please click here to correct.
©2010 Love and Logic Institute, Inc. All copyright infringement laws apply. Permission granted for photocopy reproduction and forwarding. Please do not alter or modify contents. For more information, call the Love and Logic Institute, Inc. at (800) 338-4065.