October 31, 2011: Learning to Walk a High Wire
On October 7, I told my husband Jim that I'd need to work through the weekend, so we could celebrate his birthday by biking on the Virginia Creeper Trail. A couple hours later, he had a sudden seizure that swooped us into the ER and onto a strange new high wire.
Jim had a brain tumor, which was surgically removed on his birthday, October 11, during a week-long hospital stay. We are now on a daunting path of radiation, chemotherapy, alternative treatments and information overload. In our first steps on this new tightrope, Jim is doing remarkably well. I am, too, though it's been exhausting. We're finding strength and balance in family, friends, humor and hope.
Obviously, Little Pearls and all my plans have taken a back seat. I am way behind where I hoped to be, yet we're making progress anyway. I'll hit the highlights now and share more in the next newsletter.
Our Beautiful New DVD is on the Way!
Though it was very challenging due to its complexity, we finally finished the new DVD and I am so pleased with it. We should have our copies by the middle of next week, ready for YOU to enjoy and share ~ YES!
This new DVD sampler includes:
- All 17 Little Pearls
- All earlier Samplers, Collections & Mini-Documentaries, some of which you've never seen
- 5 different Loops of Pearls, designed for various uses
- A lovely 4-panel recycled stock eco-wallet ~ the front cover is pictured here, though all 4 panels have different Little Pearls images, set into filmstrips
- An easy-to-use and beautiful menu, also with filmstrip images
A suggested donation for one DVD is $10-15, with extra for shipping. These will make great holiday gifts. More details soon!
In the last two months, we managed to create four new Dog Pearls, just in time for the DVD. I had hoped to release them one at a time so each could bask in the spotlight, but life certainly swept that plan away....
Only two new Dog Pearls have their own web pages, though all will be up soon, each with its own story and brand new photos from the footage.
All these Dog Pearls have YouTube pages, though, so you can see the talented artists involved, listed in the credits. Please enjoy & share these gifts of the heart, in HD if you can ~ they're so beautiful:
Great Local / Regional Events!
On October 25, we had a sweet fundraising event with Asheville International Children's Film Festival (AICFF) at The Hop. Thank you, Greg, Ashley, & Tim!
Events coming up, including some "soft releases" of our new DVD:
- November 4-13: AICFF (Asheville International Children's Film Festival) is in its third year and just keeps getting better. Little Pearls is the non-profit umbrella organization for this great festival again. Please check their website, above, for info on all the different events and screenings. Little Pearls is part of two special events:
- Winesday on Wednesday, every Wednesday in November, starting November 2. These are great little events: taste 5 wines for $5, from 5-8 pm, at The Wine Studio of Asheville A portion of the proceeds will benefit Little Pearls, and we'll be there with bells on!
Date and place to-be-determined for our big DVD Release Party in 2012!
How You Can Help: Funding This Great Work!
We received a grant for the DVD sampler late last year from the Asheville Area Arts Council and the NC Arts Council that many of you helped match, yet we had NO idea how complicated or expensive this project would be! It looks as if we need to raise at least $7000 more to pay for everything. Extra expenses included:
- re-recording audio for two of the earliest Little Pearls and re-editing those Pearls
- extensive, detailed music rights renegotiating and renewals, so everything on this sampler is clear and legal
- a complex DVD design, given all the different components that needed to work smoothly, different formatting of the videos, etc.
- re-editing an earlier Dog Pearl that didn't work in the DVD
- making four new Dog Pearls for inclusion on the DVD
Now we really need your help to fund this project. Here are some ways you can participate, though more details will be coming soon:
- Come to our fundraising events in November, where you can order or pick up DVDs
- Give DVDs as holiday gifts ~ they truly are beautiful, in every way
- Become one of Our Sponsors
- Help provide a matching funds base. One anonymous donor is willing to match donations, dollar for dollar, up to $1000 total, yet we need much more than that.
- Join in our matching funds campaign.
- Just Donate Now!
Learning More: Cool Links
Check out more social networking and non-profit links below.
Balance, Flexibility, Staying Open
While walking the high wire of Jim's medical appointments and treatments, I am learning how to keep Little Pearls alive and well at the same time. There has been precious little time recently for outreach or fundraising. Your help now, especially, means a lot.
Executive & Creative Director