Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Last Saturday and Sunday - A very busy weekend!
Thanks to a couple of intrepid photographers, the work at Kent Lake and Crawford farm over the weekend was well documented. Here are some great shots of the Interlake takeout on Saturday, by John Tiley (suggestion - click on the 'full screen/slideshow' icon in the upper left corner)
L1 take out ASI October 22, 2011
Then the next day a bunch of sailors pitched in AGAIN to winterize and shrinkwrap the entire centerboard fleet, under Joe Jaeger's direction. Photos by Dana Sims.
Shrink Wrap- 20111023
And in between these two events, we held our annual Fall Dinner/Election meeting at the beautiful Fox Hills Country Club. What a weekend!
Congratulations to the new Trustees, who will be serving on the ASI Board for the next three years - Don Kapit, Christian McTurk and Don Sharpe.
And thanks to the three trustees who have ably served their three year terms, and are stepping down - Norm Schmidt, John Johnston and Don Sharpe (yes, Don was elected to a second term).
A great weekend was had by all!
New Article XIII approved at Election Dinner
The article below was presented, discussed and approved at the October 22 Dinner meeting:
ARTICLE XIII - ASSET ACQUISITION
A. Asset acquisition refers to the purchasing of any vessel, real estate or other asset of $10,000 in value or greater.
B. All asset acquisition decisions can only be be at a formal board meeting.
C. The general membership must be informed of the intent to bring an asset acquisition motion at an upcoming board meeting at least two weeks prior to said meeting.
D. All board trustees must be personally notified of the intent to bring a asset acquisition motion at an upcoming board meeting.
Level 2 Class 2012 - - Bill Lane
Become a Level 2 Captain and Sail the Level 2 O’Day 28 foot Keel boats Interlude and Overture on Lake St Clair
Learn the basics of:
- navigation and GPS
- docking a keelboat
- keelboat sailing
- radio operation
- boat systems
- rules of the road for power boats
- and much more
1. Declare sailing ability by submitting a sailing resume to head of Level 2 instruction and have sailed the Interlake 8 times as a Level 1 rated sailor this year.
2. Be an ASI member and Level 1 Sail Pass holder with all volunteer hours up to date.
3. Complete and present a certificate showing completion of US Power Squadron or US Coast Guard Auxiliary Safe Boating / Basic Seamanship course before the start of Level 2 classes. The class must have a navigation component. The “America’s Boating Course” has the component. Classes are offered by the Ann Arbor and Birmingham Power Squadrons in October.
Sail longer and farther than ever before
Contact Bill Lane, Level 2 head instructor, for details
Level 3/4 class for 2012 - - Bill Lane
Level 2 sailors, it is not to early to be think of joining the level 3/4 class for 2012
Sail to interesting ports such as:
- Thames River
- Port Huron/Sarnia
- Port Elgin
- Harbor Beach
- Georgian Bay and the finest cruising area in North America.
- The North Channel
Enter beautiful coves such as: Cover Portage Cove, Snug Harbour, Marianne cove, The Pool, Benjamin Islands and Browning Cove.
Learn advance navigation techniques and enhance your knowledge of GPS
- Do off shore sailing work
- Advanced anchoring
- Boat provisioning
- Crew organization
- Sail to a destination overnight
- Have a Level 2 sail pass and work hours current.
- Sail the Level 2 keel boats 8 times this year of which 4 or more of the sails you were the captain.
Contact Bill Lane, for details
Now that the sailing season is over and most of the winterizing of the centerboard and keelboats has been completed, input for the Burgee is tapering off. Note that this issue is much shorter than normal. So for the next few months, you'll only be receiving the Burgee when there is sufficient content.
But ASI sailors are an active bunch, even over the winter! I know there are some crews headed to the Virgin Islands, some will head to Chicago for the big boat show, and some will be doing GPS geocaching around here. Whatever you're doing for the next few months, send your stuff in to let us know what you're up to.
Please send your Burgee input to email@example.com for inclusion in the next Burgee, whenever that might be. But send pictures as attachments, please!