Sign up is now open for the 2012 Advanced Level 1 sailing class!
As you may have heard, in 2012 there will be a pilot test of a new advanced Level-1 class. The purpose of the class is to build on basic ASI L1 instruction to take students to the next level of sailing skill and confidence. Content will include reinforcement of key concepts taught in basic L1, instruction on more advanced techniques and controls, and sharing of practical tips in a wide variety of sailing topics. This class does not cover racing rules or tactics. Potential students include capable rated L1 sailors, new L1 instructors, L1 racing students, future L2 students, and even L2 or above sailors who would like to refresh or strengthen their basic understanding of sailing concepts. You must be rated to take the class.
There will be 5 classes taught this year with 2 students per class. Classes are mostly on the water at Kent Lake and last 7-8 hours. The cost is $35 paid in advance to the Sail Secretary. Class dates are:
• Saturday, May 12th
• Sunday, June 17th
• Saturday, July 28th
• Sunday, August 19th
• Saturday, September 1st
Since this year will be a pilot program, we are looking for a variety of students, not just first come first serve. Therefore, if you are interested in taking the class, please send an email to Steve Poulos at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
• Full name and current rating
• Years since you were rated L1, as of 1/1/12
• What levels are you currently active in sailing (based on 2011 season)?
• Are you a newly rated L1 student from 2011 who will be joining the racing program in 2012?
• Were you a basic L1 instructor in 2011 and do you plan to continue instructing basic L1 in 2012?
• If you have at least 3 years of L1 rating and are a regular, confident Interlake sailor, would you be interested in being considered to become an Adv. L1 instructor in 2013?
• Please indicate all class dates that will work for you?
Based on the responses I get, I will fill out and publish an initial student roster in the Burgee before the end of April and will contact selected students so that they may confirm their position and pay the fee to the sail secretary, holding their spot. There are no refunds and you must pay the fee within one week of being informed that you are on the student list or your spot will be given to the next available student.
Several potential students have expressed interest in the class informally, so I would encourage you to respond soon via email before these few classes begin to fill up. Thanks, Steve Poulos