An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. No truer words were ever spoken in regards to pet proofing your home for the holidays. With that in mind here are some hidden dangers for your pet.
Lights! Candles! Accidents!
Sparkly, dangling and sometimes moving lights are a huge enticement for many pets, especially curious cats. Tinsel looks tasty too many pets but can be fatal if ingested as it twists and
bunches in your pet’s intestines. Immediate veterinary care is required.
Does your dog or cat like to chew things? Electrical cords are very attractive to many pets. I once had a cat that did just that! Bit down on the wiring from a built in stereo system (remember those? I’m dating myself now) and received a shock that burnt her whiskers, melted her tooth and knocked her so silly she was never the same! She was lucky many die from just such an action. Check your holiday lights for signs of fraying or chewing, use a grounded three prong extension cord as a precaution and unplug when not in use.
If you are using candles around your home, never, ever , ever leave them unattended! Put them in out of the way places so your pets can’t reach them. Not only can they themselves get burnt or singed but if they tip them over it’s a huge fire hazard, not to mention what a pain it is to get melted wax off furniture or worse out of carpet!
Read More Holiday Hazards for Pets here