|October is Disability History |
and Awareness Month
For resources and activities to promote disability awareness visit:
Virginia Self Advocacy
(click on the Disability Awareness tab
for online modules
October is also
National Bully Prevention Month
(click on the Bully Free Zone)
|Word Workers in the Reading Classroom: Word Study that Supports Differentiated Literacy Instruction|
A differentiated, small-group, word study program provided students with the foundation for establishing important reading skills. Every group of students receives quality instruction matched to their reading stage, and instruction can be paced to accommodate the needs of beginning and struggling readers. Assessment is ongoing, and directly linked to instruction, so you can track students' progress.
Click for the full article and more resources to support literacy instruction
- Bevin Reinen, a first grade and special education inclusion teacher at Three Oaks Elementary School, has been named the 2015 Region 2 Teacher of the Year by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). Click HERE to read more. Congratulations Bevin!
- U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan announced several Virginia public schools and three private schools were named 2014 National Blue Ribbon Schools. Congratulations to the following Region 2 schools:
- Armstrong Elementary in Hampton
- Heritage Elementary in Virginia Beach
National Blue Ribbon Schools are selected based on one of two criteria: performance on state assessments, or in the case of private schools, performance on national standardized tests and graduation rates; or performance in closing achievement gaps between a school's subgroup and all students over the past five years while rising graduation rates for each subgroup. The U.S. Department of Education will honor all of the nation's 2014 National Blue Ribbon Schools during a conference and awards ceremony November 10-11 in Washington, DC.
New at T-TAC ODU
- ASOL-based Writing Activity TACtic
- This instructional unit is a great companion to Teaching the Write Way: An Overview of Writing Instruction for Students with Intellectual Disabilities, building on the ideas of writing as composition, the stages of writings, and making composition accessible to all learners. Click on the title to request this TACtic.
- Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea TACtic
- This curriculum unit is ready for use in a variety of early childhood settings! Based on the children's book Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea, this month-long unit features suggestions for small and large group activities. Click on the title to request this TACtic.
|Upcoming Professional Development Events: Click titles for more details|