Arsen Shomakhov Trio with Guest Paul Pigat
Friday September 11th
The Fairview Pub Vancouver
|The Arsen Shomakhov Trio is representing the WRBS and the province of BC at next year's IBC event in Memphis after competing in this summer's Blues Challenge Event at Semiahmoo Park and being selected by the panel of four judges. On Friday September 11th they will be joined by one of Canada's stellar triple threats in the blues field. Singer, songwriter and amazing guitarist, Paul is someone you must take the time to see live. |
So all you blues fans out there, get off the couch, put away the soulless Facebook and go see the real deal in the last Vancouver Blues venue standing.
You'd never think it to look at Paul Pigat, but behind that unassuming grin and underneath those Doc Watson glasses lurks one of the most restless, combustible musical imaginations ever crammed like so much canned heat into a single body. Blessed with a jazz man's sheen, a rockabilly heart and a hobo's soul, there aren't many genres of music that don't pull at Pigat's wayfaring imagination like a magnet. In many ways, it's a mystery why Paul Pigat isn't a household name yet. Maybe he'd be a lot easier to pin down if he wasn't so darn good at so many different things.
One could be forgiven for thinking that up until now Paul Pigat has spent his whole career flying under the radar. Like all those great old Stax records where Steve Cropper stood behind Otis Redding and played his heart out before anyone knew who he was, Pigat has been creating sweet sounds for some of the best artists in the country without getting the attention you'd expect. Still, you'd have to have been hiding under a pretty big rock to have never heard the immediately recognizable sound of his distinctive guitar playing as over the last several years this unassuming Vancouver native has quietly compiled a list of credits that would be the envy of anyone in the music business.
Check out Paul's Website
|It's great news to hear that David Hurricane Hoerl is on the mend and returning to the stage in September. What follows is a three part interview with host Terry Parsons on his "The Songwriters" CHMR radio show.|
You can hear the interview on your computer but not your hand held devices. There are three parts. The first part will play automatically. Click on the musical note icon to see all three parts. You'll get to hear 10 of the 11 tunes on the album.
(For Sunday, August 23rd, 2015.)
Host - Terry Parsons
Guest - Dave Hurricane Hoerl
Artist - Song Title / Album
Dave Hoerl - She Took Back Her Heart / Un-Twisted
Dave Hoerl - Fight of the Century / Un-Twisted
Dave Hoerl - Soul Mate / Un-Twisted
- - - - -
Artist - Song Title / Album
Dave Hoerl - Pure and Simple Blues / Un-Twisted
Dave Hoerl - Long Highway / Un-Twisted
Dave Hoerl - I'd Rather Be Blind, Crippled and Crazy / Un-Twisted
- - - - -
Artist - Song Title / Album
Dave Hoerl - Grand Old Game / Un-Twisted
Dave Hoerl - Don't Think It Can't Happen To You / Un-Twisted
Dave Hoerl - Snake Charmer / Un-Twisted
Dave Hoerl - A Little Off The Top / Un-Twisted
- - - - -
Here's How To Get Tickets To Our Local Dances/Shows
at the Pacific Inn Resort
For Tickets On-Line click here:
or phone the box office
604 501 5566
Surfside Music & Vintage Guitars
103 - 1645 140th Ave.
1335 Johnson Road
Two WRBS Shows Are
Coming in October
Saturday October 3rd
"The Beale Street Blues Bopper"
Little Victor Mac
The Harpdog Brown Traveling Blues Show
Tickets now on sale
Little Victor has been called the King of Grit and the antithesis of meaningless virtuosity. His rich, quirky and inspired down home blues became well-known to blues audiences through his work with the legendary Louisiana Red on the highly celebrated " Back To The Black Bayou". This album introduced the world to the powerful musical chemistry between Louisiana Red and Little Victor as his producer/protégé/bandleader.
The record featured guests including Kim Wilson, Bob Corritore and David Maxwell and won prestigious prizes like the Grand Prix Du Disque (the French equivalent of the Grammy), the renowned Record Critics' Award of Germany (the German equivalent of the Grand Prix Du Disque), numerous Best Album nods in different Countries and a pair of nominations at the 31st Blues Music Awards (the blues Grammys).
The album earned glowing reviews on three continents,both in blues publications and in important mainstream music magazines such as Rolling Stone and Down Beat. Little Victor has also produced and played on records by David Evans, Sophie Kay, Hubert Sumlin, RL Burnside, Robert Belfour and Tav Falco's Panther Burns –his work on Tav's long-awaited comeback album Conjurations was even noticed by Mojo magazine. Read more; http://www.littlevictormusic.com/bio-discography
Friday October 16th
All You Blues Fans Out There;
We Are Looking For Volunteers
If you would like to get involved with the White Rock Blues Society we would love to have you come and join us.
We are always looking for people to join us in our efforts to promote roots music in our community.
There are a number of areas of expertise we are looking to add to our team.
If you are interested in getting involved send me an e-mail email@example.com,
or call me at 604 723 3905.
WALTER TROUT & the RADICALS!
Check out the show Lloyd Peterson is involved in putting on just 80 KM down the road from White Rock.
Presented by Free Spirit Productions & True Tone Audio
“The triumphant return of WALTER TROUT & the RADICALS!”
“VOTED 6TH GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME…1,000,000 BBC LISTENERS!”
After nearly two years suffering from a failing liver and a successful transplant in May of 2014, Walter has defied the odds. With renewed vigor and his good heath back, Walter has announced a full tour schedule and is back on the road. Heralded throughout Europe and the United States as one of the greatest guitarists anywhere. 1000 BBC blues and rock listeners voted Walter the 6th (tie, with Brian May) best guitarist of all time. This man is the real deal!
His West Coast swing concludes with an October 10th appearance in Burlington Washington at Skagit Center, a 500-600 seat venue with a world-class sound system newly installed by True Tone Audio (Mount Baker R&B Festival sound/lighting wizards). This venue has all the comforts of home…first-class stage, comfortable seats (even a dozen or so couches), an intimate setting allowing each fan a perfect view and beer & wine service for adult patrons.
“A Mount Baker R&B Festival favorite”, Walter and his top notch band, The Radicals, have made two appearances at the festival. His pyrotechnic guitar wizardry has made Walter one of the most highly sought after acts in the Blues/Rock world today. Thousands of fans world-wide have been anxiously awaiting Walter’s return. Shows are being sold out daily as fans flock to buy tickets…fearing they won’t get one.
Opening for Walter is Seattle’s top Blues/Rock artists Ayron Jones & the Way. Ayron brings a fresh, bold guitar style and a unique flavor. Ayron employs chords and solo notes to create his own brand of iconic Seattle rock. Think “Stevie Ray Vaughn meets Nirvana!”
DATE & TIME: Saturday, October 10th, 2015…….doors open at 7pm….show begins at 8pm
VENUE: Skagit Center
1000 Fountain St.
Burlington WA 98233
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!....$35…$40 at the door
Avalon Music….Bellingham, WA (360)
Hugo Helmer Music….Burlington, WA (360)
“A MOUNT BAKER R&B FESTIVAL preview show!”
Serving Lower Mainland Blues Fans
“From the Delta to Hope”
We are a relatively new society, receiving our charter as a non-profit society in May of 2007. We have been putting on shows every two months since. The venue we have used is a club the size of the Vancouver Yale Hotel called the Rhumba Room. It is attached to the Pacific Inn Resort at 1160 King George Blvd. about a mile from the Peace Arch border crossing. We also periodically put on shows at the Crescent Beach Legion at 2643 128th St. Surrey.
What we have done to-date and our 2014 current plans: All events held at the Rhumba Room unless otherwise noted.
1. Introduction: Wednesday May 16th 2007 Back Porch Blues Band event, Camp Kwomais.
2. 1st event with Society status July 13th 2007 at the Rhumba Room Jesse Burch, Good Dog Bad Dawg & Rich Koops and the Koop De Villes.
3. The Bill Johnson Blues Band, Sept 8th 2007 Crescent Legion, “A Blues Night Out”.
4. The Twisters, November 3rd, Rhumba Room Blues Bash II.
5. 1st Yuletide Blues Benefit Concert, Dec 9th 07 Rhumba Room 10 local blues bands played for the Peace Arch Community Services Food Bank.
6. Year-End Blues Bash, Dec 29th.
7. Phat Betty, aka Cat Wells, Feb 07 2008.
8. Rob Lutes & Rob MacDonald February 29th 08.
9. Blue Voodoo, Ellie Johnson, April 19th.
10. Johnny Ferreira & The Swing Machine, Sept 6th 2008
11. Jerry Doucette, Nov 8th 2008.
12. 2nd Annual Yuletide Blues Benefit, Dec 7th 08, Rhumba Room, a long list of blues entertainers donated their time and talent for Food Bank.
13. Russell Jackson, Mud Bay Blues Band, Dec 27th.
14. Kathi MacDonald, Joani Bye, Leanne Coleman Valentines’ Blues Divas Feb 14th 2009.
15. Wild T and the Spirit Feb 11/09.
16. Harpdog Brown, Hank Shreve, Brian McFadyen and Steve Kozak’s Westcoast Blues Revue 1st International Harmonica Showcase April 11/09.
17. MonkeyJunk award winning three-piece blues band Friday May 22/09.
18. Lloyd Jones Struggle Blind Pig Recording Artists, Saturday June 20/09
19. Julian Fauth, August 2009 Juno Award Winner Best Blues Album, “Ramblin’ Son”.
20. John Lee Sanders and Muddy Fraser, Saturday September 5/09.
21. Doc McLean & Big Dave McLean, “The Century Blues Tour”, Crescent Beach Legion, Wednesday November 4/09
22. Harpdog Brown & Yukon Slim Crescent Beach Legion, Thursday December 10/09
23. 3rd Annual Yuletide Blues Benefit Concert Sunday December 13/09.
24. The Twisters, The Yale Hotel Fundraiser for IBC sponsorship January 11th 2010
25. Rita Chiarelli Crescent Beach Legion Wednesday Night January 20/2010
26. Cat Wells Valentine Blues Night Out Saturday night February 13/2010
27. Keith Hallett Blues Comes To White Rock, Elk’s Hall Saturday March 13/2010
28. Tim Williams Crescent Beach Legion Thurs. April 1/2010
29. Fathead Sat. May 1st Pacific Inn Hotel – Rhumba Room
30. James Harman Friday June 4th Pacific Inn Hotel – Rhumba Room
31. Harpdog Brown, Graham Guest, Jason Buie, David “Boxcar” Gates – Rhumba Room Tuesday June 15th
32. The Twisters, Rhumba Room, Saturday September 11th 2010
33. Becki Sue & her Big Rockin’ Daddies Sunday October 17th
34. Doc Maclean Friday November 19th Darker Ways Blues Tour
35. 4th Annual Yuletide Blues Benefit Concert proceeds for the White Rock South Surrey Food Bank Sunday 12th 2010
36. The Twisters Friday December 31st New Years Eve with The Twisters Dinner & Dance Party
37. Mud Dog Fundraiser Wednesday Jan. 26 Yale Hotel Vancouver
38. Glen Pearson All Star Jam Saturday February 19th Crescent Beach Legion
39. Carlos Del Junco Thursday, March 10th Crescent Beach Legion.
40. Dalannah Gail Bowen Saturday March 19th Rhumba Room
41. Tim Williams Wednesday April 6th Sandpiper Pub
42. Harpdog Brown and the Bloodhounds Saturday April 9th Rhumba Room
43. David Gogo Trio Saturday May 28th Rhumba Room
44. Right A Wrong With Song, Musicians Rally For Q Sound, Saturday July 2nd Rhumba Room
45. Blues By The Sea, Semiahmoo First Nation Spirit Stage on Marine Drive White Rock, Saturday August 13th 2:00 PM to 8:30 PM
46. Fathead Friday September 16th Rhumba Room
47. Doc McLean & Big Dave Maclean :National Steel "Bad Boy Blues" Tour Saturday September 24th Rhumba Room
48. Nathan James Trio Saturday October 22nd 2011 Rhumba Room
49. Four Solo/Duo Acts performing before judges using IBC criteria to select next year entrants, Sunday October 23rd, 7:30 PM West Beach Bar & Grill
50. MonkeyJunk, Thursday November 10th at the Rhumba Room
51. Fifth Annual Yuletide Blues Benefit, Sunday December 11th 4:00 PM to 10:00 PM Pacific Inn Hotel Rhumba Room
52.The Twisters Saturday December 31st 2011 New Years Eve Dinner & Dance at the Rhumba Room
53. David “Boxcar” Gates & Friends Memphis Send Off Admiral Pub & Grill, Sunday January 15th 2012
54. Triple CD Release Dance, Kenny "Blues Boss" Wayne, Harpdog Brown, Brandon Isaak Sat. March 24th, 2012 Pacific Inn Resort, Rhumba Room.
55. Saturday April 21st Jason Buie Band and the Compound Blues Band Pacific Inn Resort
56. Saturday May 5th Michael Jerome Browne - Pacific Inn Resort
57. Friday May 18th Carlos Del Junco & Rick Fines - co promotion with Blue Frog Studios
58. Saturday June 9th David Gogo, co promotion with Blue Frog Studios
59. Saturday June 16th John Lee Sanders, Pacific Inn Resort
60. Friday & Saturday July 13th & 14th John Lee Sanders, Michael Van Eyes, Stan Street, Co Production with Blue Frog Studios - BBQ Blues Bash.
61. Saturday September 22nd IBC Band Event, Princeton Pub Vancouver 1901 Powell Street
62. Saturday October 13th J W Jones, Pacific Inn Resort
63. Saturday November 10th Jimmy D. Lane, Pacific Inn Resort
64. Sunday December 9th 2012, 6th Annual Yuletide Blues Fundraiser for South Surrey/White Rock Food Bank
65. Monday December 31 New Years Eve Blues Dinner Party Starring Juno Award Winning Kenny "Blues Boss" Wayne
66. Thursday January 17th 2013, Poppa Dawg Memphis IBC Fundraiser - with Friends, FANCLUB, Granville St. Vancouver
67. Saturday February 16th, Valentines Blues Extravaganza with James 'Buddy' Rogers CD Launch and The Powder Blues Band with Tom Lavin, Pacific Inn Resort - Rhumba Room
68. Saturday March 23rd, Bill Johnson Blues Band Rhumba Room
69. Saturday April 27th, Harpdog Brown & The Bloodhounds and The Jason Buie Band
70. Saturday June 22nd David Gogo Co-promotion with Blue Frog Studio
71. Friday July 5th 3rd Annual Blues BBQ Bash with Blue Voodoo and Guests Co-promotion with Blue Frog Studio
72. Saturday July 6th 3rd Annual Blues BBQ Bash with Poppa Dawg and Guests Co-promotion with Blue Frog Studio
73. Saturday August 17th 3rd Annual Blues By The Sea co production with Q-Sound
74. Friday September 20th IBC Event at the FANCLUB
75. Saturday October 19th J W-Jones
76. Friday November 15th Co-promotion with Blue Frog Studios, Chasing Away Those Winter Blues, Harpdog Brown Band
77. Sunday December 8th, 7th Annual Yuletide Blues Fundraiser for the South Surrey/ White Rock Food Bank
78. Tuesday December 31st New Years Eve Dinner and Dance, Southern Style, A Bayou Blues Banquet with The Twisters
79. IBC Participant Fund Raiser - Vancouver FANCLUB - Thursday, January 9th, to support Arsen Shomakhov Band & Brandon Isaak
80. David Vest, co-promotion with Blue Frog Studios, Friday January 24th @ Blue Frog Studios
81. Sabrina Weeks and Swing Cat Bounce, with The Cooler Kings opening the show/dance, Friday February 14 2014 7th Annual Valentine Dance, Pacific Inn Resort.
82. Jim Byrnes Friday March 14th Co-promotion with Blue Frog Studios
83. James "Buddy" Rogers & Friends "Off To The Juno Awards" Saturday March 22nd
84. Chicago Blues Master Jimmy D Lane Saturday April 19th
85. Angel Forrest & Paul Deslauriers and Denis Coulombe Saturday May 3rd Pacific Inn Resort, "2014 Maple Blues Award Winners"
86. Ladies of the Blues, Saturday June 21st, Pacific In Resort
87. International Blues Challenge Event and Southern BBQ, Sunday July 20th. Spirit Stage on Marine Drive White Rock 10:30 AM
88. Cooler Kings Saturday September 13th
89. IBC Fundraiser, Dalannah Gail Bowen & Owen Owen, Uncle Wiggly's Hot Shoe Blues Band, Saturday November 29th Pacific Inn Resort
90. 8th Annual Yuletide Blues Fundraiser for the South Surrey/White Rock Food Bank operated by Sources BC. Pacific Inn Resort
91. New Years Eve Dance Party with Tom Lavin and the Legendary Powder Blues Band, Pacific Inn Resort Wednesday December 31st
92. Valentine Day Dance Party Saturday February 14th, Pacific Inn Resort.
93. Angel Forrest, Paul Deslauriers, Dennis Coulombe, Co promotion with Blue Frog Studios, Saturday May 1st.
94. MonkeyJunk, Co promotion with Blue Frog Studios, Sunday May 3rd.
95. Uncle Wiggly's Hot Shoes Blues Band Co promotion with Blue Frog Studios, Saturday May 9th.
96. Dalannah Gail Bowen, Blue Frog co-promotion, Friday May 22nd
97. Jesse Roper, Saturday June 13th Pacific Inn Resort
98. Annual IBC Event, Semiahmoo Park, Spirit Stage Sunday July 26th. 11:00 AM Start, 10 Blues Acts, Memphis Mike BBQ available on site. Chicago royalty Jimmy D Lane will close the show.
99. Harpdog Brown with Little Victor, Saturday October 3rd Rhumba Room, Pacific Inn Resort.
100. J W Jones, Friday September 16th, Rhumba Room, Pacific Inn Resort.
|The White Rock Blues Society - Entering Our 9th Year|
Serving Lower Mainland Blues Fans
“From the Delta to Hope”
On May 17th 2014 we marked seventh year since we received our non profit status as a registered non profit society from the BC provincial government.
The majority of our events take place at the Pacific Inn Resort, conveniently located just off Hwy 99 at the last exit, Exit 28, before the Peace Arch border crossing. Anyone west of the venue will not see a traffic light all the way to the Pacific Inn parking lot once they drive on to Hwy 99. Anyone coming from the north can take King George Blvd. right to the door. If coming from New Westminster then Hwy 91 will link them into Hwy 99. Those east of our location can take Hwy 176 (Pacific Hwy) down to 8th Ave and head west on it until they cross over Hwy 99 and they're there. Our Washington State neighbors can find us just a couple of minutes north of the Peace Arch border crossing. The Rhumba Room is our ground zero for the blues and has been adopted by the White Rock Blues Society as our "home of the blues".
The Rhumba Room is only open to the public if it has been booked for an event.
We try to support blues musicians who are traveling through town by offering them another venue to fit into their tour. We also showcase local talent, as there are a good number of very talented blues musicaians in our area as well as throughout BC. We also take great pride in sponsoring artists to attend the Annual IBC held by the Blues Foundation located in Memphis Tennessee.
To date we have sponsored, The Twisters, Mud Dog, David "Boxcar" Gates, Poppa Dawg and most recently at the 2014 IBC, Brandon Isaak as solo artist and the Arsen Shomakhov Blues Band represented the society. They are all great ambassadors of the BC blues music scene. This coming year, January 2015, two blues acts will be representing the society and the entire province in Memphis. Uncle Wiggly's Hot Shoes Blues Band in the band category and Dalannah Gail Bowen & Owen Owen Owen in the Duo category.
Another important event every year has been the annual Yuletide Blues Benefit for the local food bank run by Sources. Over the last six years we have generated over $18,000 and 5,800 lbs of food. This was accomplished because local musicians offered their time and talent at no cost, to support a good cause. The Hotel offers up ver $18,000 and 5,800 lbs of food. This was accomplished because local musicians the Rhumba room at no charge and Buchanan Printing do all the posters and handouts at no charge. When additional back-line equipments is required both Tapestry Music and Surfside Music and Vintage Guitars help us out. They, along with many volunteers, come together each year to support the food bank that services the needs of White Rock/South Surrey.
If you have not made it out for one of our dances/shows you are in for a treat. We always have excellent live entertainment and a great venue to view the band and dance on a newly installed dance floor. There is a cash bar and a restaurant at the venue offering very tasty food. Lots of free parking and special room rates are available to show attendees.
There is no other venue like The Rhumba Room in the area. It's not The Yale Hotel but it has its own charm. Volunteering blues fans will meet you at the door and you will soon feel very comfortable.