I am still on the road this week enjoying a wonderful visit with my daughter in Burlington VT, but between activities am trying my best to keep the work going on the 2018 Blues Challenge preparation! Registration opened this week and may be accessed by visiting www.ozarkbluessociety.org
Please remember before you will be allowed to enter the registration page, one member of the group must be a current member of Ozark Blues Society.
Please feel free to email Sandy with any questions you might have.
You may also access all the basic information on www.ozarkbluessociety.org under the "2018 Blues Challenge" and "Best Self-Produced CD" tabs. If you are planning to enter please visit these pages to become familiar with the requirements. Finally, PLEASE share! Every year we have a great group of regional musicians compete. We anticipate 2018 being another awesome competition.
Be sure and scroll down to the calendar to make sure you don't miss the numerous opportunities coming up for live music in and around Northwest Arkansas.
We are still hoping to hear ideas from readers. This newsletter would be better with YOUR input! Thoughts and ideas....articles you want to share...a band or event you want to share information about? As always,you can email me anytime at the address below. We LOVE our readers and want to see
your ideas included!
Ozark Blues Society Blues Challenge
Best Self Produced CD
The Website now includes the basic information to prepare for the
upcoming opening of registration. The registration page will become active on September 12th for Ozark Blues Society's 2018 Blues Challenge.
(Please note, Best Self-Produced CD entries have different deadlines
and entry requirements.)
This regional Blues Challenge competition is the first step for blues artists wishing to enter the 2019 International Blues Challenge. Our competition is open to blues bands and solo/duo artists eligible to enter the 2019 International Blues Challenge (visit Blues.org or email Sandy to confirm your eligibility.) Competitors must reside within 250 miles of Bentonville. Winning acts will be sponsored by OBS to attend the 2019 IBC.
Also opening in September are submissions for the OBS Best Self Produced CD competition. The winner
of our regional contest will be announced on October 26th at our Blues Challenge. The winning CD will also be entered in the Blues Foundation's 2019 Best Self Produced CD competition that coincides with the International Blues Challenge each year. Again, visit our website for
all the information on how to enter.
Not a competitor? Our annual challenge
is also a great chance for blues lovers
to catch sets from many of the extraordinary blues bands in our region....all in one night!
So, mark your calendar for
Friday October 26, 2018.
It will be a night you don't want to miss!
Looking for something to do this weekend? Join our sister society from Springfield Missouri for this great event!
2018 International Songwriting Competition
The International Songwriting Competition (ISC) is an annual song contest whose mission is to provide the opportunity for both aspiring and established songwriters to have their songs heard in a professional, international arena. ISC is designed to nurture the musical talent of songwriters on all levels and promote excellence in the art of songwriting. Amateur and professional songwriters and musicians are invited to participate.
2018 Judges Include a number of Blues Artists, such as: Walter Trout, John Mayall, Joe Louis Walker, Tony Joe White, Booker T. Jones, Tom Waits, Rodney Crowell, The Mavericks, and many more.
Win Cash, Prizes, Recognition, and exposure!
71 winners will share in over $150,000 worth of cash and prizes! In addition to cash and merchandise prizes, winners benefit from a multilateral promotional campaign designed to give international exposure and attention to their songwriting achievements.
Categories include: AAA (Adult Album Alternative), AC (Adult Contemporary), Americana, Blues, Children's Music, Christian, Comedy/Novelty, Country, EDM (Electronic Dance Music), Folk/Singer-Songwriter, Instrumental, Jazz, Latin Music, Lyrics Only, Music Video, Performance, Pop/Top 40, R&B/Hip-Hop, Rock, Teen, Unpublished, Unsigned Only, and World Music. Entrants may submit as many songs as they wish - in the same category or in multiple categories.
Join the ranks of previous winners: Tommy Castro, Thornetta Davis, Illenium, Vance Joy, Gotye, Bastille, Kehlani, The Band Perry, Kimbra, Passenger, Kasey Chambers, Lindsey Stirling, Kate Miller-Heidke, Gregory Porter, King Charles, Gin Wigmore, Andrew Bird, for King & Country, Omar Sosa, and more.
9/14 - 9/22
Please enjoy the following listings comprised of bands, venues, and/or organizations that support Ozark Blues Society. Always check with individual venues for event details and schedule changes.
- Honeyjack for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Ocie Fisher at JJ's Grill and Chill on Steamboat in Fayetteville
- Leah and the Cocktail Club at Sassafras Vineyard in Fayetteville
- Pinetop Renegades at Foghorn's in Springdale
- Keith Nicholson at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
- Roger Thomas at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Jim Mills at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- The Hydromatics at Soul City in Tulsa
- School of Rock at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentoville
- TJ Scarlett at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
- Ashtyn Barbaree at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Son Sin Gnero for Forest Concert Series at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville
- JP Soars and the Red Hots CD release at Warrens Rec Room in Alma
- Greater Ozarks Music Festival at Summers at the River in Nixa
- Gospel Brunch with Brick Fields at Hoppin' John's in Fayetteville
- Picking Circle-Monday! at the Bentonville Pub in Bentonville
- Ozark Regional Songwriters Association Showcase at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Keith Nicholson at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- Blues Therapy with Brick Fields at Moranos in Fayetteville
- Richard Burnett at JJ's Grill and Chill in Springfield
- Roger Thomas at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
- Opal Agafia and the Sweet Nothings for Notes at Night at Bike Rack Brewing in Bentonville
- Leah and the Mojo Doctors for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Laurence Juber at Sunrise Stage in Fayetteville
- Steve Dimmitt at JJ's Grill and Chill in Rogers
- Jukebox Confession at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- The Downtown Livewires for Harvest Party at Berry Farm in Bentonville
- The Baskins Blues Duo at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Alan Jackson at the AMP in Rogers
- Space4Lease at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Keith Nicholson and more for Patio Party at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
- Kiran Ahluwalia for Forest Concert Series at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville
- Tony Alvarez at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Jesse Dean and Co. at Warrens Rec Room in Alma
- Greater Ozarks Music Festival at Summers at the River in Nixa
Mark Your Calendar
- 9/23 Shelter Jam Fundraiser at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- 9/26-29 Bikes Blues and BBQ in Fayetteville
- 10/5 Eric Gales at Meteor Guitar Galley in Bentonville
- 10/7 Pinetop Homecoming at Hopson Plantation in Clarksdale MS
- 10/23 Broken Root at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- 10/26 OBS Blues Challenge at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
On this day
in Blues History
Today’s show features music performed
by Little Richard and B.B. King
"I also think that's what's wrong with all of us is that we don't show enough love toward each other."
Blues Education Supporters
Check Out these regular local radio programs
"The Generic Blues Show" hosted by Paul Kelso airs every Friday night at 9pm on KUAF 91.3FM
Rockin' Hog Radio presents "Sunday Morning Blues" from 8am to 10am every Sunday
Get Involved with the Ozark Blues Society
Annual membership levels begin at $15 and give you so much in return, including meeting new friends while enjoying the best blues artists in the area.
By being a member of The Ozark Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas, you are helping to support the Arts and to preserve the Original American Art Form known as The Blues.
Membership Benefits Include:
Opportunities to win tickets to events
VIP seating at events (when available)
Discounts on OBS merchandise
Social networking – meeting other people who also love the blues
Opportunities to volunteer on OBS committees and at events
Ability to attend board meetings and vote on upcoming organizational issues and elections
Visit our Website to renew or join! Ozarkbluessociety.org