Each time I see an RIP for another bluesman's passing I feel a pain in my heart. So much history that could easily slip away and be forgotten if blues societies and fans don't keep trying to overcome the potential for lost history. Yesterday's loss of David Kimbrough Jr, a member of an iconic Mississippi Hill Country blues family strikes me more intensely. David was living in Fayetteville for a time and I met him when he competed in our Blues Challenge. I reached out to him the next spring as a potential artist for our inaugural Fayetteville Schools 7th Grade blues outreach and he agreed to do it.
He had a real heart for helping the next generation love blues. David performed for the kids then patiently accompanied a number of kids who recited their A-A-B format poetry. Blessings to David's family as they grieve another bluesman lost.
Once again the calendar this week has several upcoming awesome blues events starting with Brick Fields tonight for
Happy Hour at George's and then tomorrow afternoon a free afternoon show at Meteor Guitar Gallery with texas bluesman, Chuck Rhodes, and local favorite Gary Hutchison.
Feel I am missing an event? Just click the link below to email Sandy.
And always remember, this is YOUR newsletter! Please send feedback or suggestions our way. You can reach me by email at the address below. We LOVE our readers and want to see
your ideas included!
Chuck Rhodes and Gary Hutchison Trio
|The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville is excited to host Texas Bluesman CHUCK RHODES, |
who along with the with the Gary Hutchison Trio will present a FREE SHOW at 2pm on Saturday, July 6th as they produce a Live Recording. Ozark Blues Society will be there as well, so come out anf meet us while you enjoy some GREAT live blues!
7/05 - 7/13
Please enjoy the following listings comprised of bands, venues, and/or organizations that support Ozark Blues Society. Always check with individual venues for event details and schedule changes.
- Brick Fields for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Jenna and the Soul Shakers at JJ's Grill and Chill on Dickson in Fayetteville
- Richard Burnett at the After Five bar in Rogers
- Tater, Mater, and Squarsh at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Jay Yates at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
- CongaKeyz at Sassafras Vineyard in Springdale
- Chuck Rhodes and Gary Hutchison Trio for free live recording session at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Audiopharmacy for Forest Concert Series at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville
- Jenna and Friends at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Ausio at The Nines in Bentonville
- Benjamin Del Shreeve at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
- Bentonville Blues Fest for Live on the Patio at Bike Rack Brewery in Bentonville
- Lost Bridge Trio at Pedalers Pub in Bentonville
- Ashtyn Barbaree at Bentonville Farmers Market in Bentonville
- Jim Mills at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- Buddy Shute and Mark Bokun at Low Gap Cafe in Ponca
- Jesse Dean and Co at the Fayetteville Public Library in Fayetteville
- Richard Burnett at JJ's Grill and Chill on Dickson in Fayetteville
- Darby Horn at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
- Keith Nicholson at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- Blues Therapy with Brick Fields at Moranos in Fayetteville
- Jazz Night at West and Watson in Fayetteville
- Young the Giant/Fitz aand the Tantrums with COIN at the AMP in Rogers
- Veridian Saxophone Quartet for Live at the Five and Dime in Downtown Bentonville
- Jim Mills at JJ's Grill and Chill in Fort Smith
- Ultra Suede for the Gulley Park Concert Series in Fayetteville
- Jimmy Wayne Garrett at Wright's BBQ in Johnson
- Roger Thomas at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
- Bel Airs and Loose Change for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Alabama t the AMP in Rogers
- Roby Pantall Jazz Duo at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Ashtyn Barbaree at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
- Buddy Shute Trio at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- JDIAZ and Hannah's Reef for Beach House on the Hill at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Flor De Tolache for Forest Concert Series at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville
- Goose for Live on the Patio at Bike Rack Brewery in Bentonville
Mark Your Calendar
- 7/27 Nathan Bryce and Loaded Dice with The Chris Duarte Group at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- 8/23 Mavis Staples for Root Fest in Fayetteville
- 8/24 Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi for Root Fest in Fayetteville
- 8/26 Byrne and Kelly at Sunrise Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
On this day
in Blues History
Today’s show features music performed by Johnny Dodds and Elvis Presley
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away."
Blues Education Supporters
Check Out these regular local radio programs
"The Generic Blues Show" hosted by Paul Kelso airs every Friday night at 9pm on KUAF 91.3FM
Rockin' Hog Radio presents "Sunday Morning Blues" from 8am to 10am every Sunday
Get Involved with the Ozark Blues Society
Annual membership levels begin at $15 and give you so much in return, including meeting new friends while enjoying the best blues artists in the area.
By being a member of The Ozark Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas, you are helping to support the Arts and to preserve the Original American Art Form known as The Blues.
Membership Benefits Include:
Opportunities to win tickets to events
VIP seating at events (when available)
Discounts on OBS merchandise
Social networking – meeting other people who also love the blues
Opportunities to volunteer on OBS committees and at events
Ability to attend board meetings and vote on upcoming organizational issues and elections
Visit our Website to renew or join! Ozarkbluessociety.org