I will jump right in and say first off nothing is changing at this point, but I have to admit there has been discussion on my end about the value of this e-news being published on a weekly basis. Though readers likely can whip through the content quickly each week, the process of viewing community calendars, gathering data, and updating the news and events we publish lands somewhere in the 2-3 hour commitment range each week.
The part I am pondering is, are we connecting with those who open their newsletter each week? Are those of you who regularly open the email finding useful information and if so what part of the newsletter is most important to you? Over the last few months I have shared opportunities for readers to get involved by asking for feedback (most recently about your favorite blues musicians) and even looking for those who might be interested in sharing submissions of articles. Sadly there has been no response. It has
always been my perspective that this is YOUR newsletter so my efforts are meant not to be a way to dodge responsibility,
but as a way to include readers. If you,
the reader, have specific ideas about
parts of this newsletter that help you in your love of blues and/or live music events, please let me know. If there
comes a time that OBS feels the need
to make changes in the newsletter
format or content it would be very helpful to know what readers prefer.
Please take note that registration will open soon for our Blues Challenge. Please watch this newsletter and our website for updated information. Those with questions prior to registration may email Liz Lottmann for help. Read on below for more information and a poster you can share.
Feel I am missing an event? Just click
the link below to email Sandy.
And always remember, this is YOUR newsletter! Please send feedback or suggestions our way. You can reach me by email at the address below. We LOVE our readers and want to see
your ideas included!
Ozark Blues Society
Mark your calendar!
The 2019 Ozark Blues Society Blues Challenge will be held Friday, October 25th at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville. Registration will open soon for those wishing to enter.
Please spread the word to musicians you may know who might consider entering. Information and registration will be available soon. Winning a local challenge is the first step to earning a coveted spot at the 2020 International Blues Challenge in Memphis.
For information prior to registration, please email Liz Lottmann
2019 International Songwriting Competition
The 2019 International Songwriting Competition will soon be underway.
Read on to find out about this
WHAT IS ISC?
ISC offers the opportunity for songwriters to be heard by an elite panel of recording artists and music executives. ISC has a total of 71 winners in 23 categories that share in over $150,000 in cash and prizes, including an overall Grand Prize consisting of $25,000 (US) cash.
AAA (Adult Album Alternative), AC (Adult Contemporary), Americana, Blues, Children's Music, Christian, Comedy/Novelty, Country, EDM (Electronic Dance Music), Folk/Singer-Songwriter, Instrumental, Jazz, Latin Music, Lyrics Only, Music Video, Performance, Pop/Top 40, R&B/Hip-Hop, Rock, Teen, Unpublished, Unsigned Only, and World Music.
To find out more information as well as see the list of music professionals participating as judges and the list of previous winners, please visit: https://songwritingcompetition.com/
Blues Music Awards
Submissions Now Open
Shared from the Blues Foundation
You may now formally submit your album for consideration via our online service.
Your complete album music must be uploaded as a WAV file with album artwork uploaded
as a JPEG or PDF file. If you need assistance with uploading your music, album artwork, and/or liner notes, please contact
- August 1 – August 31, 2019 - $155 per submission
- September 1 – September 30, 2019 - $180 per submission
- October 1 – October 15, 2019 - $225 per submission
The submission process officially closes
on October 15, 2019. You must upload your music and artwork and complete payment for your submission transaction no later than OCTOBER 15TH to be considered for a Blues Music Award nomination.
Click on the link below for submission categories and additional information.
Kansas City Blues Society
2020 Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise
The Kansas City Blues Society (KCBS) is selling cruise raffle tickets to Roger Naber’s Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise, which sets sail January 19-26, 2020, from Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Cruise raffle tickets are $20/ticket and only 500 have been printed. The winning ticket includes a cabin for 2 people with a value of $4300. (The winning ticket does not include transportation to Ft. Lauderdale). You may purchase tickets at: email@example.com or by mail at: Kansas City Blues Society, P.O. Box 32396, Kansas City, MO 64171.
The winning ticket will be drawn at the Thanksgiving Day Breakfast Show & Dance, November 28, 2019.
For questions or additional information, please call Betty Berry at (816) 436-7342 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALL PROCEEDS BENEFIT THE KANSAS CITY BLUES SOCIETY.
8/16 - 8/24
Please enjoy the following listings comprised of bands, venues, and/or organizations that support Ozark Blues Society. Always check with individual venues for event details and schedule changes.
- Honeyjack and Goodluck Slim for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Steve Dimmitt at JJ's Grill and Chill on Dickson in Fayetteville
- Ocie Fisher at JJ's Grill and Chill in Springdale
- Patient Eyes and 40 Open at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Roger Thomas at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Route 358 at Pedalers Pub in Bentonville
- Keith Nicholson Trio at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- RC and the Blues Bandits at JJ's Grill and Chill in Fort Smith
- Buddy Shute and the Motivators at Moranos in Fayetteville
- Steve Dimmitt at JJ's Grill and Chill in Rogers
- Hollywood Riot at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Chasing Pictures for Live on the Patio at Bike Rack Brewery in Bentonville
- Jim Mills at JJ's Grill and Chill on Steamboat in Fayetteville
- Nelly/TLC/Flo-Rida at the AMP in Rogers
- Blues Therapy with Brick Fields at Moranos in Fayetteville
- Jake Hertzog Trio for Live at the Five and Dime in Downtown Bentonville
- The Legendary Pacers at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Richard Burnett at JJ's Grill and Chill on Steamboat in Fayetteville
- Jesse Dan and Co for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Mavis Staples for Root Fest in Fayetteville
- Sugar Creek at JJ's Grill and Chill on Steamboat in Fayetteville
- Smashing Pumpkins/Noel Gallagher at the AMP in Rogers
- Juan De Hoyos at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Jenna and Friends at Bentley's Pub in Bentonville
- Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi for Root Fest in Fayetteville
- Simply Seger Tribute at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- The Juice for Live on the Patio at Bike Rack Brewery in Bentonville
Mark Your Calendar
- 8/26 Byrne and Kelly at Sunrise Guitars in Fayetteville
- 8/31 Hunkr Down at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- 8/31 Brad James Band at Warren's Rec Room in Alma
- 10/12 Evening of Jazz with Michael Fields at Sunrise Stage in Fayetteville
- 10/25 Ozark Blues Society Blues Challenge at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
On this day
in Blues History
Today’s show features music performed by Jimmy Rodgers and Percy Mayfield
"See, I was mostly like a creator –
I was about.
Blues Education Supporters
Check Out these regular local radio programs
"The Generic Blues Show" hosted by Paul Kelso airs every Friday night at 9pm on KUAF 91.3FM
Rockin' Hog Radio presents "Sunday Morning Blues" from 8am to 10am every Sunday
Get Involved with the Ozark Blues Society
Annual membership levels begin at $15 and give you so much in return, including meeting new friends while enjoying the best blues artists in the area.
By being a member of The Ozark Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas, you are helping to support the Arts and to preserve the Original American Art Form known as The Blues.
Membership Benefits Include:
Opportunities to win tickets to events
VIP seating at events (when available)
Discounts on OBS merchandise
Social networking – meeting other people who also love the blues
Opportunities to volunteer on OBS committees and at events
Ability to attend board meetings and vote on upcoming organizational issues and elections
Visit our Website to renew or join! Ozarkbluessociety.org