|76 Monticello Rd. Weaverville, NC 828-645-3937 www.reemscreek.com|
HOURS: Mon - Sat: 9-6 Closed Sunday
|FROM WILMA: Bett Stroud was mayor of Weaverville from 1993 until her retirement in 2009. There were many accomplishments during her tenure. Some of these were construction of a new Town Hall, Public Works, Fire Department, and Ivy River Water Plant. Also, an upgrade was made at Lake Louise Park and plans were made for Main Street Nature Park.|
Bett was known for her love of trees and was chairperson of the Weaverville Tree Board for almost 20 years. During this time over 1,000 trees were planted around town, some of which are in memory or honor of someone. An Arbor Day celebration was held each year and always involved youth. Weaverville received 19 awards as a Tree City USA. As a member of the Tree Board, I appreciated Bett’s dedication in making Weaverville a more beautiful town.
Bett passed away on Valentine’s Day after a long illness. I will be planting a native dogwood at my house in her memory. Our condolences are with her husband, Walt, and daughter, Rachel. Donations in Bett’s memory may be made to the Bett and Walter Stroud Endowed Scholarship Fund at Mars Hill University, P.O. Box 6792, Mars Hill, NC 28754.
|Dahlias & Summer Bulbs In Stock|
|Choose from over 35 gorgeous Dahlia cultivars, plus beautiful Lilies, Gladiolas, Crocosmia, Canna Lilies, Lily of the Valley and more. These are mostly summer blooming bulbs.|
- Plant bulbs in well-drained soil, and most bulbs want a full sun location. Lily of the Valley should be planted in a shady area.
- Buy Dahlias now while your favorites are still in stock. Wait to plant until after Mother’s Day when the soil has warmed up - dahlias resent cold soil. Speed up your bloom time by starting Dahlias in pots indoors 4-6 weeks before the last frost. Keep them dry until you see green shoots emerge, then only water when the top 2" of soil is dry. Plant outside once the ground has warmed up after Mother’s Day. Unless you are a risk taker, plan to dig your dahlias up in the fall for winter storage.
- Plant Gladiolus outdoors about two weeks before Mother’s Day. To extend bloom time, plant a few corms every two weeks until early summer. They should flower in around 70-90 days.
- Plant Lilies after Mother’s Day. They need 6-8 hours of sun for consistent blooming. For the best color retention, protect them from the hot afternoon sun if possible.
- Use VoleBloc/PermaTill when planting to protect bulbs from vole damage.
Early Blooming Perennials
Azaleas, Mountain Laurel, Pieris & Rhododendron
Tropicals & Succulents
Huge Pottery Shipment...still unpacking!
Solid Oak Trellises
Time to Plant:
Pansies & Snapdragons
Seeds - Vegetables & Flowers
Veggie Transplants – Cool Season
Seed Potatoes - Organic and Conventional
Onion Sets & Onion Bunches
Shallots - Red & Yellow
|Zoom Online Workshop|
Digging Deeper into Gardening
The Benefits of Gardening & Increasing Enjoyment of Your Outdoor Spaces
Sat. March 6 from 10-11 am, plus Q & A
With Ruth Gonzalez
Let’s dig in…During the last year many of us have discovered the hidden benefits of gardening and the myriad ways gardening lifts our spirits. In this talk we will discuss some of those benefits, how to use our gardens to engage all the senses, and dive into some simple garden assessments to explore ways - both large and small – to increase enjoyment of our outdoor spaces.
For more info and sign up:
**Did you miss the Seed Starting Workshop last week? Click here to watch.
|Big News from the Garden Center|
|We are happy to announce that our company is beginning to evaluate sites for a new location in the Weaverville/North Asheville area! We want to offer a nicer experience to our customers and staff…think level ground, more parking, and better infrastructure! |
Don’t worry. Even though our property is listed for sale, the business is NOT for sale. Reems Creek Nursery will continue selling and growing the beautiful plants you expect to see and love, and plans are to stay at our present location for several more years. Thanks so much for your continued support!
|Hours: Mon thru Sat: 9-6, Closed Sunday|
- NC Executive Order #169 and #180 require face coverings in public when indoors, and also outdoors when it is not possible to maintain social distancing from non-household members. In Phase 3, this requirement applies to any public place or business, indoor or outdoor." Link to full list of NC Executive Orders.
Sanitation Stations are located near our Garden Shop doors. Our staff arrives prior to opening to allow us time to clean and sanitize before customers arrive.
- Please help us comply with this Order by wearing a mask while shopping with us.
- Please keep 6’ away from other customers and staff as much as possible.
- Please stay home if you have a fever, a cough, or are sick.
- Please load your own bagged goods at this time
Thank you for your consideration of other customers and our staff members. We want everyone to feel safe during their visit to Reems Creek Nursery. Our heartfelt thanks for your enthusiasm and support during this challenging time.