Once again this issue qualifies for the "short and sweet" designation. I am on the road due to a death in my family and am putting out only a limited update this week. The calendar is updated, and some updates to prior articles have been added, but there are no new articles this week. Please check in next week for more
news and updates.
Always remember, this is YOUR newsletter! Please send feedback or suggestions our way. You can reach me by email at the address below. We appreciate our readers and want
to see your ideas included!
Final Week to Register!
Youth Master Class
New! We have modified the schedule for the upcoming Youth Master Class.
The one-day session will be held on Friday, July 30th, from 11am-5pm, for guitar players. Join bluesman, Akeem Kemp, as he mentors participating young blues lovers. Registration is still being accepted this week, and our workshop sponsorship covers the full cost of the class. The day will wrap up with a jam session with Akeem Kemp at 7pm, and followed by a performance by Akeem Kemp Band. For more information or to register, please email Liz Lottmann or contact Tim Treese at 479-586-4184.
The workshop is open to guitar players ages 12-19. This is unusual opportunity for young blues players or those talented young players who want to learn the blues to get instruction from these exceptional blues recording artists. Participants will be sponsored by the Ozark Blues Society, so there will be no cost for participants.
For more about Akeem Kemp Band:
Blues Music Awards
First Deadline Approaching
|All musicians are invited to submit their Blues recordings for consideration.Blues music released between November 1, 2020 and October 31, 2021 is eligible for consideration for a 2022 Blues Music Award Nomination.You may now formally submit your album or minimum 6-song EP for consideration via our online service here.Artists now have opportunity to submit a single for "Song of the Year" consideration even if you do not have a full album or EP released. To be eligible for submission, your single must be professionally released to the public for the first time between November 1, 2020 - October 31, 2021 and may not be part of a larger EP or full album release. To submit a single for "Song of the Year," you must contact Joe Whitmer at email@example.com directly. Singles may not be directly uploaded to the online submission platform without a special code.
Submission fees and deadlines:
- July 1, 2021 - July 31, 2021
$135 per album or EP submission / $35 per song submission
- August 1, 2021 – August 31, 2021
$155 per album or EP submission / $55 per song submission
- September 1, 2021 – September 30, 2021
$180 per album or EP submission / $80
- per song submission
- October 1, 2021 – October 15, 2021
$225 per album or EP submission submission / $125 per song submission
The submission process officially closes on October 15, 2021. You must upload your
music and artwork and complete payment
for your submission transaction no later than OCTOBER 15TH at 8:00am CST to
be considered for a Blues Music Award nomination.
All music must be uploaded as a WAV file
with album artwork uploaded as a
JPEG or PDF file. If you need assistance
with uploading your music, album artwork, and/or liner notes, please contact
As you release future recordings, we
encourage you to send at least one copy
of your CD to: The Blues Foundation,
421 South Main, Memphis, TN 38103-4464.
The earlier you do this the better. It informs
The Blues Foundation staff that your CD has been released and allows us to log it for
future BMA related communications.
Rockin' Hog Media
Rocklahoma 2021 Ticket Giveaway
The following was shared with OBS:
Let's face it, 2020 was brutal. It literally has affected every part of daily life and has cost so many of us, so much. So now that things are getting back together, Rockin' Hog Media will launch their 10th Annual Rocklahoma Giveaway on our Music and Discovery website, NWA Rocks starting July 1st 2021.
We want to send you and a guest to this year's Rocklahoma festival in Pryor, Oklahoma this Labor Day weekend with a pair of GA, 3 Day Festival Passes and 1 Campground to help get you thru the weekend.
Mark Your Calendar
Ozark Blues Society
2021 Blues Challenge
Looking ahead, the Ozark Blues Society Board of Directors is happy to announce we anticipate holding a regional Blues Challenge at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville on October 22, 2021 in anticipation of the resumption of the International Blues Challenge in 2022.
for updates and registration information later this summer.
For Local Artists
Please check this section of the newsletter weekly for ideas of how to support local musicians and venues. Submissions are being reduced to contact information this week as we restart the Live Music Calendar.
Jimmy Wayne Garrett
For more information about Jimmy Wayne Garrett, his schedule, recent interviews, or buy the latest album, visit: JimmyWayneGarrett.com
His music may also be found HERE:
YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAj6BYVglL4&list=OLAK5uy_la2zCm6zUphqeNMMe4j9I2jxiI2YT1AkU *****
Once live music begins again, folks can stay updated on our concerts by signing up to our email at www.BrickFieldsMusic.com and following us on Facebook at:https://www.facebook.com/BrickFieldsMusic
We have released a single from the upcoming album. Here is a link to the video "Take Me To the Riverside"
We also have two stores on our website one for music merchandise and another for Blues Therapy handmade items such as essential oil blends, Jewelry, tie dyes, bath salts, body butters and more.
Thank you for your support.
I pray that each of you and your families are all doing okay through this.
Booking Call: The Brick House 479-846-4668
The Jeff Horton Band
Based in Bentonville, Arkansas, the
Jeff Horton Band definitely has
a passion for the Blues! For the last
10 years Jeff and the guys have done their part in sharing the Blues as much as possible, treating their fans to an enjoyable experience.
For more information on the Jeff Horton Band check out:
Jeff has also put together a Spotify playlist for NWA Blues. It can be found, HERE:
Please enjoy the following listings comprised of bands, venues, and/or organizations that support Ozark Blues Society. Always check with individual venues for event details and schedule changes. Submit weekly listings by emailing: SANDY
- Leah and the Mojo Doctors for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Elizabeth Bainbridge at Sassafras Springs Vineyard in Springdale
- Jeff Horton Band at Good Vibrations in Rogers
- Black Note at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Willi Carlisle for Live on the Green Concert Series at The Momentary in Bentonville
- Opera in the Ozarks at Inspiration Point in Eureka Springs
- Ley Line for Forest Concert Series at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville
- She's Us on the Mountain Street Stage at the Fayetteville Public Library in Fayetteville
- Richard Burnett at JJ's Grill and Chill on Steamboat in Fayetteville
- Vince Turner at JJ's Grill and Chill in Rogers
- Jenna and Friends at JJ's Grill and Chill in Springdale
- Lindsey Stirling at The AMP in Rogers
- Adam Collins, Matt Beach and Garrett Jones for Jazz at the Undercroft Bar in Bentonville
- Brick Fields Blues Therapy at Moranos in Fayetteville
- Ben Harris jazz guitar at Six-Twelve Coffeehouse and Bar in Fayetteville
- Phish at the AMP in Rogers
- Jenna and Friends at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- Gary Hutchison at JJ's Grill and Chill in Fort Smith
- Dandelion Heart for Gulley Park Concert Series in Fayetteville
- Jazz Night at Turnbow Park in Springdale
- Keeshea Pratt Band at Four Quarter Bar in Little Rock
- Uncrowned Kings for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Steve Dimmitt at JJ's Grill and Chill on Dickson in Fayetteville
- Vince Turner at Sassafras Springs Vineyard in Springdale
- Fayetteville Jazz Collective Octet at Railyard Park in Rogers
- Live on the Green Concert Series at The Momentary in Bentonville
- Steve Dimmitt at JJ's Grill and Chill in Rogers
- Dylan Earl for Forest Concert Series at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville
- Keith Nicholson at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
Mark Your Calendar
- Watch for Future Listings
Please Submit Dates for Regional Blues Artists and Group Events HERE |
On this day
in Blues History
Today’s show features music performed by Chuck Berry and
"Don't let the same dog bite you twice."
Blues Education Supporters
Check Out these regular local radio programs
"The Generic Blues Show" hosted by Paul Kelso airs every Friday night at 9pm on KUAF 91.3FM
Rockin' Hog Radio presents "Sunday Morning Blues" from 8am to 10am every Sunday
Get Involved with the Ozark Blues Society
Annual membership levels begin at $15 and give you so much in return, including meeting new friends while enjoying the best blues artists in the area.
By being a member of The Ozark Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas, you are helping to support the Arts and to preserve the Original American Art Form known as The Blues.
Membership Benefits Include:
Opportunities to win tickets to events
VIP seating at events (when available)
Discounts on OBS merchandise
Social networking – meeting other people who also love the blues
Opportunities to volunteer on OBS committees and at events
Ability to attend board meetings and vote on upcoming organizational issues and elections
Visit our Website to renew or join! Ozarkbluessociety.org