The chiropractic profession has been on the forefront of preventative health care for the last century. As a profession we are the most effective providers to resolve neck and back pain. As a profession we are also the best at preventing the return of back and neck pain. Most of my patients come to my clinic with complaints of pain. I am usually able to resolve their pains in just a few visits, but it often takes longer to restore proper motion in their joints in order to prevent future damage. Unfortunately our society is only trained to see their doctors for help when they are experiencing pain. When people wait until they are having pain the damage has often been occurring for weeks or months. So the question remains how do you know when to come in for Chiropractic treatments?
Listed below are some quick guidelines to help you decide when you should come see me for treatments:
If you have any of the following signs or symptoms you need to come in immediately:
1. Neck or back pain that travels into your arms, legs, feet, or hands.
2. Neck or back pain with weakness anywhere in your body.
3. Neck or back pain with bouts of dizziness.
4. Neck or back pain accompanied by dropping objects or dragging your feet.
5. Numbness anywhere in your body.
6. Pain that wakes you up at night.
7. Neck pain that does not allow you to turn your head.
8. Back pain that does not allow you to bend forward, tie your shoes, or put on your undergarments.
If you have any of the following signs or symptoms you need to come in within the same week they started:
1. Pain that is constant.
2. Pain that hurts even when you are not moving.
3. Pain that seems to be getting more intense or more frequent.
4. Back pain when using the restroom or straining.
5. Pain from an injury with visible swelling.
6. Inability to comb your hair or wipe yourself with or without shoulder pain.
7. Knee or foot pain that has been around for more than two days.
8. If you find yourself limping.
If you have any of the following signs or symptoms you need to come in sometime this month.
1. If you have had neck or back pain within the last 2 months.
2. If you are waking up with stiff joints in the morning.
3. If your joints start to pop or click when moving around.
4. If you are stiff when bending over to tie your shoes.
5. If you look in the mirror and one of your shoulders or hips looks higher than the other.
6. If you notice one pant leg or sleeve is shorter than the other.
7. If you start to see a hump forming in your upper back.
8. If you feel tight or have trouble moving your body in one direction compared to the opposite direction.
9. If you have ever had neck or back pain.
10. If your feet, hips, or back hurt after standing for long periods of time.
11. If you always stand with same leg sticking out to the side with that knee bent.
If you have been treated for an injury or painful condition in the past you should consider coming in every 4-5 weeks to keep your joints moving properly. The benefits of regular Chiropractic care are numerous and will be listed in the next news letter. Stay tuned!