Owen Ogletree's Brewtopia Brewsletter
January 11, 2018
Owen is founder/editor of Brewtopia.Info, columnist for Southern Brew News, lecturer at Knoxville's Brewing & Distilling Center, founder/director of the Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting and Classic City Brew Fest, a BJCP National Beer Judge and Great American Beer Festival judge.
|Follow our craft beer adventures...||
|- Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting List of Amazing Beers Just Released|
Saturday - January 20, 2018
5 Seasons Westside
EXCITING NEW LOCATION!
Savor 55 casks from the USA and UK that will be located in 5 Seasons' SkyBar, patio, brewery and downstairs cellar bar. It will be an amazing day of delicious cask ales and live music from Tre Powell! You won't find these cask ales anywhere else around here but ACAT!
Check out the jaw-dropping list below of exclusive, one-off cask ales coming to the ATLANTA CASK ALE TASTING on January 20. If you don't have a ticket, just what are you thinking? You can't miss this! ACAT benefits the Atlanta Humane Society.
- 5 Seasons Westside Chevallier Bitter is brewed with a beautiful UK heritage malt, East Kent Golding hops, and a traditional English yeast that adds lovely peach and dark cherry nuances. 4.5% ABV.
- Abbey of the Holy Goats Chèvre Noir, a black saison, was rested on coffee from Indonesia, vanilla beans from Madagascar, and cocoa nibs from the Yucatán. Dark roasted malts and slight fruity esters from the saison yeast balance the sweet additions, resulting in a delectably smooth beer.
- BlueTarp Juicin' IPA offers a succulent malt character as the canvas for a massive amount of brewing hops and dry-hops such as Amarillo, Cashmere, Mosaic and Simcoe.
- Burnt Hickory King Zeke. This flavorful cask was filled with young, fresh pale ale, and lemon juice and dry-hops were added. A grainy, malty, yet wonderfully hoppy ale at 6% ABV.
- Carolina Bauernhaus Pikant Nacht. We aged our Nacht imperial Belgian-style stout in a 13th Colony Bourbon barrel, then added habaneros, cocoa nibs, and a touch of cinnamon and vanilla to this special cask.
- Chattabrewchee Southern Brewhouse Hadrian's Wall - A Scottish Export-style ale offering garnet hues and an exceptional malt/hop balance. Named after the wall separating Roman England from Scotland, this beer is light in carbonation but with a malty backbone.
- Cherry Street / Lincoln Fill Station Collaboration Nightmare After Christmas - A "Belgo/Ruskie" stout infused with eggnog custard powder, lactose, vanilla beans, and chocolate. 10.5% ABV.
- Cherry Street Cortez the Killer Mexican Spiced Stout - Our award-winning OASIS Stout infused with cocoa nibs, vanilla beans, Vietnamese cinnamon, and a blend of three types of chili peppers is pleasantly spiced without too much heat - like alcoholic Mexican hot chocolate! 10.5% ABV.
- Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale - An award-winning, 5.5% ABV Northern English Brown Ale brewed with flaked oats to impart a silky body and mesh the roasted, toasted, and chocolate components.
- Coastal Empire Brewer's Reserve Bacon Cherry Porter - A 6.6% ABV Robust Porter with cherry wood smoked malt to enhance the bacon flavor. In secondary, we added sweet and tart cherries, as well as house-smoked bacon from Savannah's Ogeechee Meat Market.
- Coniston Bluebird Bitter - A 3.6% ABV English Ordinary Bitter with Challenger hops. Quite pale in color, with a beautiful orange nose and toast character from biscuit malt. Finishes dry and lightly fruity. (UK)
- Creature Comforts Wheeler’s Drum - A 5.6% ABV Oatmeal Stout made with all North Carolina grown grains from Epiphany Malting. Look for notes of caramel, burnt marshmallow, and rich espresso.
- Dry County Double Chocolate Milk Porter. To satisfy your sweet tooth, we took our 8% ABV imperial chocolate milk porter and added copious amounts of liquid cacao and extra Ugandan vanilla beans to this exceptional cask.
- Eagle Creek Smoke & Mirrors! A flavorful, smoked brown ale with a French saison yeast strain and fresh cranberries added into both the fermenter and cask.
- Eventide Rye Golden Ale was brewed as part of the brewery's Anniversary Series. Expect pleasant aromas of lemongrass, dill, and honey. Flavors of apricot, lemongrass, citrus, coconut, and vanilla lead to a pleasing alcohol warmth in the finish. 9% ABV.
- Fyne Ales Carved in Fire - A rich, triple-smoked chestnut porter with 5.1% ABV, Pioneer hops, and malts that include pale, brown, flaked oats, caramalt, chocolate, and choco-wheat. Notes of earthy treacle meld with a hint of smoke from roasted chestnut additions. (UK)
- Fyne Ales Hurricane Jack - A delicious blonde ale from Scotland with fruity hops, 4.5% ABV, and 40 IBUs. Amarillo and Cascade provide lovely tangerine/citrus hop flavors backed by Maris Otter pale malt. (UK)
- Fyne Ales Vital Spark comes in as a 4.4% ABV dark ale with a surprising depth of complexity from Amarillo and Cascade hops balanced by malts that include dark crystal, roasted barley, and dark wheat. Spark is a beer somewhere between a stout, porter, and mild. (UK)
- Harvey’s Christmas Ale - A traditional, malty English Barleywine with a biscuit malt and vinous fruit palate balanced by pleasant hop bitterness. ABV: 7.5%. (UK)
- Harviestoun OLA DUBH 10th Anniversary Edition is an 8% ABV English Old Ale aged for two years in Highland Park 12-Year single malt Scotch whiskey barrels. (UK)
- Hi-Wire's Signature Hi-Pitch IPA was dry-hopped with Simcoe and El Dorado in place of Mosaic and Centennial. This cask displays notes of pine, citrus, and tropical fruit over a base of rich malt.
- Ironmonger "Hey! Syrah!" is our Double IPA that was dry-hopped with Galaxy and El Dorado, then rested over Shiraz grapes. At 8.6% ABV and 22 IBUs, this special brew forms part of Ironmonger's Anvil Series.
- Jailhouse Brewing Chateau d’If is a sour saison with green tea and fresh mango for added complexity and depth.
- Jekyll Southern Juicy Juice - This 6% ABV ale offers flavors and aromas of pineapple, mango, and tropical fruits supported by a fluffy mouthfeel. We also added passion fruit and a third round of dry-hops to this select cask.
- Left Nut Brewing The Prime Minister’s Porter - An English-style brown porter with smoked malts and black cherries. Aromas of roasted malt and smoke give way to flavors of smoked wood, chocolate, and cherries in the dry finish.
- Little Cottage More Than Metal - A rum barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout conditioned on vanilla beans for a rich smoothness and elegant complexity. 13% ABV.
- Max Lager's Doppelbock is based on a style brewed originally by Munich monks as “liquid bread.” Our version is a strong, smooth malt bomb with light caramel and toasted notes followed by a dry-ish finish. 9% ABV.
- Max Lager's Virtue of Patience - A Bold Monk preview beer from a blend of two diverse barrel fermentations that created a lightly tart and subtly complex beer with notes of tropical fruit and barnyard Brettanomyces with port wine and Cabernet barrel character. 12% ABV.
- Monday Night Cool Han Blue. Blue is the color of the light side, so it only made sense to take our hazy Han Brolo pale ale and add blueberries, vanilla, and lactose for a chewy and light take on a fruity dessert.
- Moon River Captain's Porter with chocolate and orange is our 6% ABV Robust Porter with a medium/full body and rich, roasty notes of chocolate and coffee. We added flavors of natural chocolate and orange to turn this cask into a holiday-themed treat.
- New Realm Fourteen Twenty Dark Mild ranks as the new brewery's very first cask ale! Based on a historical recipe from an Adnams Mild brewed in 1914, this beer was brewed by New Realm on its five-barrel pilot system using three types of English malts, flaked oats, and dark sugar. Malty and complex for 4.5% ABV and 20 IBUs.
- Old Rail Bourbon Barrel-Aged Barleywine is an American Barleywine hopped with Galaxy, Mosaic, and Citra, and aged for six months in Old Forester Bourbon Barrels at Louisiana's Old Rail brewpub. ABV: 10.3%.
- Omaha Brewing The General's Select Richland Rum-Aged 7.62 Imperial Brown Ale aged on toasted coconut. At 8% ABV, this small batch brew offers rich notes of dark malts, rum, vanilla, and satisfying coconut.
- Piedmont Brewery & Kitchen Bad Moon Rising Rye Milk Porter aged on toasted coconut. This complex brew features a spicy rye malt profile that plays well with the sweet lactose and nuttiness of the coconut. It’s like a liquid candy bar! 6.3% ABV, 30 IBUs.
- Quest Brewing Smoking Mirror Porter with serrano peppers, cinnamon, and cacao nibs is a Mexican-inspired version of our porter with slight smoke and spice on the front that's balanced with rich chocolate notes.
- Red Brick Eastern Standard Beer is a malty ESB fermented in second-use bourbon barrels that provide a soft oak and honeycomb character.
- Red Hare Soft J IPA pours with a hazy appearance and smooth bitterness with notes of orange juice and zest. We dry-hopped this beer with Amarillo, Citra, and Idaho 7, then finished this cask off with a dose of Galaxy and experimental hops for more tropical and tangerine notes. 6.8% ABV, 69 IBUs.
- Reformation Mocha Declaration. We casked up our imperial stout with cacao nibs, Peets cold-brewed espresso, and Bourbon vanilla beans.
- Scofflaw Barrel-Aged Absentium Imperial Stout. This deep, dark, rich, viscous ale offers added complexity from additions of vanilla, cacao nibs, coffee, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chili peppers. 13.9% ABV.
- Second Self Urbosa's Fury - This IPA strikes nearby palates with loads of Amarillo, Mosaic, and Motueka hops. All opponents will tremble in its awesome power, drinkability, and complexity.
- Service Brewing Grisette is a flavorful and aromatic saison-like ale brewed with wheat and oats and fermented with our house yeast. Huell Melon and Equinox hops blend with an addition of Douglas Fir spruce tips, providing a refreshing blend of floral and evergreen notes. 4.1% ABV.
- Southbound Passion Fruit Joker & The Thief - Bursting with tropical and citrus notes, this hazy IPA was fruited with passion fruit and dry-hopped with Amarillo. At 6% ABV, Joker & The Thief will be your finest partner in crime as you fly into the night.
- Southern Brewing Company Amarillo Wild Ale is an Amarillo dry-hopped blend from a variety of golden-colored, sour, wild ales from the Athens brewery. Smooth, lightly tart, and highly drinkable, this cask offers a wonderful depth of complexity from fermentation character and balancing hops.
- Steady Hand Tangerine Flower Business is a Double IPA with tangerine and experimental hops. Aromas of freshly squeezed tangerine, bright citrus, and tropical fruit mingle with subtle pine and floral notes. 9% ABV.
- Superstition Meadery's cask is a hazy mead hopped during fermentation and dry-hopped with 100% Citra. We added a bit of lactose sugar to leave a little sweetness, since honey is completely fermentable.
- SweetWater With a Little Help from My Friends IPA. This slightly hazy, refreshing, 8% ABV IPA will put you in a happy place. Made with flaked wheat for a good body and head, the hops and fresh tangelo peel contribute papaya, mango, kiwi, and passion fruit notes with hints of black tea.
- Terrapin Beyond the Galaxy - Major Tom Edition is our Beyond the Galaxy single-hopped IPA with additions of Tang, the favorite drink of astronauts. This cask has an orange and grapefruit nose, balanced by juicy bitterness. Please be responsible and don't consume while flying a spacecraft.
- Three Taverns Banana Foster Float Imperial Coffee Stout - A fruity, rich and decadent coffee stout with flavors of flamed banana, cinnamon, and brown sugar. 10% ABV.
- Torched Hop Anthem of the Angels is a medium-bodied, American-style Porter that was rested on hand-toasted coconut flakes, vanilla beans and fresh green chilies.
- Twain's Smoke & Cinder - A 7.4% ABV, smoked robust porter brewed with cherry wood smoked malt. The smoke, roast, ash, and caramel tones come together to form a fun and unique tasting experience.
- Urban Tree The Only Cider. Cherry and chocolate abound in this cider that was made for winter. Cherry juice from Washington state lends notes of fruit and tartness, while Peruvian and Ecuadorian cocoa nibs mellow and balance the wintry character.
- Variant Brewing Midmorning is an imperial breakfast stout brewed with coffee, cinnamon, and maple. At 10% ABV, the robust mouthfeel and alcohol warmth contribute to a rich, delicious experience.
- Wicked Weed Angel of Darkness. Using one of the most rare and exciting beers we've ever produced, this cask holds a barrel-aged American sour ale blended with boysenberries, blackberries, raspberries, and cherries. The beer was then aged in Oloroso sherry puncheons for 2+ years. We give you the first ever cask of Angel of Darkness!
- Wild Heaven Bestie Pub Ale ranks as a standard, UK-style bitter brewed with traditional British malts and black treacle. Hints of toasted malts and complex fruity esters make up the backbone of this scrumptious, super sessionable ale.
- Wild Leap Ventured Oatmeal Chocolate Stout featuring toasted pecans, toasted coconut, and cinnamon. This exclusive cask was conditioned with caramel. 8% ABV.
- Wrecking Bar Choco Mountain Imperial Breakfast Stout. Flavors of bittersweet dark chocolate, mocha, dark fruit, and smoothness from oats and wheat shine in this decadent strong ale. Costa Rican coffee, maple syrup and cacao nibs were included, and this cask was conditioned on toasted coconut, vanilla beans, and cinnamon sticks. 8.5% ABV, 70 IBUs.
Axis Companies is a single resource for real estate, design, permitting and construction. These hops-loving geniuses have expertise that encompasses breweries/brewpubs, commercial/retail, institutional, educational, and government sectors, intergalactically. We are currently working with a number of your fellow brewers on new ventures. Come visit our booth at the Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting. Let’s share a beer and talk about how we can be of service with your next big idea.
Over its first few months, Akademia brewpub in Athens, Georgia has pleased patrons with outstanding beers such as Skål Norwegian Farmhouse Ale, High IQ double IPA and Hades' Hounds Hunker Down Brown oatmeal-honey brown ale. Following up on the success of its New England-style Hoprodite IPA, Akademia just cranked out the stronger Hoprodisiac version packed with succulent Citra and Mosaic hops.
Seek out a pint of Monday Night Brewing's Whirling Dervish Coffee Stout that's brewed with Batdorf & Bronson coffee. March brings the brewery's newest seasonal release, I'm on a Boat. This golden ale comes across as a casual, easy-drinking beer with pilsner malt, oats, wheat and Lemon Drop hops.
|Left Nut Brewing|
Bridge to Nowhere IPA
From our friends at Left Nut Brewing in Gainesville, Georgia...
This IPA is classic, yet complex, featuring Columbus hops. Golden in color and crisp, with notes of grapefruit, black pepper, and floral characteristics, this beer is light and refreshing with a well-balanced hoppy finish.
COLOR: 4.3 SRM
YEAST: American Ale Yeast
FROM THE LATEST YACHTS TO SAILORS’ KNOTS:
The 2018 Progressive® Insurance Atlanta Boat Show® Returns Jan. 18-21
Georgia World Congress Center
- 01/20/2018 - ATLANTA CASK ALE TASTING. 50+ rare, one-off cask ales from the USA and UK at 5 Seasons WESTSIDE - a new location for the event! Get TICKETS.
- 02/03/2018 - Graduate Athens Brewery Tour. Join Owen Ogletree and The Beer Wench for lunch/beer at Akademia brewpub and tours of Terrapin and Southern Brewing in Athens, GA. $199 per couple gets you the tours, a room for the night at Graduate Athens, transportation, beer, lunch, and $30 food and beverage credit for the Foundry that night. Call 706-549-7020 to reserve.
- 04/15/2018 - CLASSIC CITY BREW FEST, Athens, GA. Featuring 50+ exclusive cask ales, draft booths from local breweries, super rare bottle booth, live music, a new location, and a BBQ food truck. Classic City Brew Fest is a favorite craft beer event in the Southeast. Get TICKETS now.
|- Brewtopia Events on Facebook & Twitter|
|CLICK HERE and hit the Brewtopia Events "like" button on Facebook to see live photos and news posts as we sip, quaff and sniff craft beer around the world. Also be sure to "friend" Owen Ogletree on Facebook.|
Follow Brewtopia Events on Twitter.
- Owen Ogletree and The Beer Wench take 34 beer writers, brewers and craft beer enthusiasts to South Africa to scope out many of the new breweries in and around Cape Town.