The Blues Challenge....among our readers is there anyone who isn't familiar with this annual event? Perhaps there are some who take it on the road and attend the International Blues Challenge in Memphis in January. As affiliates of The Blues Foundation, the Blues Challenge Ozark Blues Society holds here in Northwest Arkansas each fall is basically the qualifying round that acts must win to be able to go on to the IBC in Memphis.
Registration is open for another week. Current registrations include some local favorites who are hoping this is their year to win one of the coveted spots and go to Memphis representing Ozark Blues Society...but if you are reading this and feel your blues band or solo/duo has what it takes, it's not too late to register!!
Almost more importantly, today is the final day to enter your qualifying CD in the qualifying round for entry into the Blues Foundation's annual Best Self-Produced CD competition. If your act has a CD that you want to enter but today's deadline is problematic, please email me Sandy's email IMMEDIATELY to discuss possible alternative options for your CD to be considered. Please let me know if you have any questions about the Challenge or need assistance registering. Registration may be accessed by visiting www.ozarkbluessociety.org and selecting the "2018 Blues Challenge" and "Best Self-Produced CD" tabs.
Please remember before you will be allowed to enter the registration page, one member of the group must be a current member of Ozark Blues Society.
Again, please feel free to email Sandy with any questions you might have.
Every year we have a great group of regional musicians compete. We anticipate 2018 being another awesome competition.
As always,you can email me anytime at the address below. We LOVE our readers and want to see
your ideas included!
FINAL DAY to ENTER!
Best Self-Produced CD Competition
This is the final day to enter your CD in the OBS Best Self Produced CD competition, however, if you have a qualifying CD and today's deadline is problematic, please email me Sandy McCann IMMEDIATELY so we can discuss options to include your CD in our regional qualifying process.
The winner of our regional contest will be announced on October 26th at our Blues Challenge. The winning CD will also be entered in the Blues Foundation's 2019 Best Self Produced CD competition that coincides with the International Blues Challenge each year. Again, visit our website for
all the information on how to enter.
FINAL WEEK to Register!
Ozark Blues Society Blues Challenge
The Website now includes the information needed to prepare register for the Ozark Blues Society's 2018 Blues Challenge.
(Please note, Best Self-Produced CD entries have different deadlines
and entry requirements.)
This regional Blues Challenge competition is the first step for blues artists wishing to enter the 2019 International Blues Challenge. Our competition is open to blues bands and solo/duo artists eligible to enter the 2019 International Blues Challenge (visit Blues.org or email Sandy to confirm your eligibility.) Competitors must reside within 250 miles of Bentonville. Winning acts will be sponsored by OBS to attend the 2019 IBC.
Not a competitor? Our annual challenge
is also a great chance for blues lovers
to catch sets from many of the extraordinary blues bands in our region....all in one night!
So, mark your calendar for
Friday October 26, 2018.
It will be a night you don't want to miss!
2018 International Songwriting Competition
The 2018 International Songwriting Competition’s deadline is right around the corner on Nov 5th so enter now. ISC is looking for a great songwriters with great songs that need to be heard. There are 23 categories to enter, including Blues. Winners share in over $150,000 in cash and prizes, recognition, and exposure! Judges include Walter Trout, John Mayall, Joe Louis Walker, and Bruce Iglauer (President, Alligator Records). Past winners include Tommy Castro, Thornetta Davis, Fantastic Negrito, and more.
Be sure to check out the International Songwriting Competition website for all the details on the 2018 contest:
71 winners will share in over $150,000 worth of cash and prizes! In addition to cash and merchandise prizes, winners benefit from a multilateral promotional campaign designed to give international exposure and attention to their songwriting achievements. Join the ranks of previous winners: Tommy Castro, Thornetta Davis, Illenium, Vance Joy, Gotye, Bastille, Kehlani, The Band Perry, Kimbra, Passenger, Kasey Chambers, Lindsey Stirling, Kate Miller-Heidke, Gregory Porter, King Charles, Gin Wigmore, Andrew Bird, for King & Country, Omar Sosa, and more.
10/5 - 10/13
Please enjoy the following listings comprised of bands, venues, and/or organizations that support Ozark Blues Society. Always check with individual venues for event details and schedule changes.
- Full House and Out of the Blue for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Buddy Shute and the Motivators at Hoppin Johns in Fayetteville
- Jersey Boys at the WAC in Fayetteville
- Pinetop Renegades at Levi's Gastrolounge in Rogers
- Eric Gales at the Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Ashtyn Barbaree and Will Gunselman at Bike Rack Brewing in Bentonville
- Rachel Fields at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena
- Orchestral Pow Wow Project for Forest Concert Series at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville
- Tater, Mater, and Squarsh at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Oz Trails Off Road Concert Series at Bentonville Square
- Buddy Shute and Mark Bokun at Low Gap Cafe in Ponca
- King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena
- Gospel Brunch with Brick Fields at Hoppin' John's in Fayetteville
- Celebrando la Music at the AMP in Rogers
- Pinetop Homecoming at Hopson Plantation in Clarksdale MS
- Picking Circle-Monday! at the Bentonville Pub in Bentonville
- Richard Burnett at JJ's on Dickson in Fayetteville
- U of A Jazz Jam with Jake Hertzog Trio at Stage 18 in Fayetteville
- Keith Nicholson at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- Blues Therapy with Brick Fields at Moranos in Fayetteville
- Earl and Them for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- George Brooks' ASPADA at the WAC in Fayetteville
- Rozenbridge at Aloft in Bentonville
- Mark Tucker at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Ocie Fisher at JJ's Grill and Chill in Rogers
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Conert at the AMP in Rogers
- Micah Bournes and Trees and Houses at Bike Rack Brewing in Bentonville
- Jonathan Howard at Bentonville Pub in Bentonville
Mark Your Calendar
- 10/23 Broken Root at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- 10/26 OBS Blues Challenge at Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
In this issue: 10/05/2018
On this day
in Blues History
Today’s show features music performed by Little Walter and B.B. King & Gladys Knight
"Soul is just that inner spirit. I use that
inner spirit for whatever it is I do.”
Blues Education Supporters
Check Out these regular local radio programs
"The Generic Blues Show" hosted by Paul Kelso airs every Friday night at 9pm on KUAF 91.3FM
Rockin' Hog Radio presents "Sunday Morning Blues" from 8am to 10am every Sunday
Get Involved with the Ozark Blues Society
Annual membership levels begin at $15 and give you so much in return, including meeting new friends while enjoying the best blues artists in the area.
By being a member of The Ozark Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas, you are helping to support the Arts and to preserve the Original American Art Form known as The Blues.
Membership Benefits Include:
Opportunities to win tickets to events
VIP seating at events (when available)
Discounts on OBS merchandise
Social networking – meeting other people who also love the blues
Opportunities to volunteer on OBS committees and at events
Ability to attend board meetings and vote on upcoming organizational issues and elections
Visit our Website to renew or join! Ozarkbluessociety.org