Owen Ogletree's Brewtopia Brewsletter
February 14, 2019
Owen is founder/editor of Brewtopia.info, columnist for Southern Brew News and Beer Connoisseur Magazine, lecturer at Knoxville's Brewing & Distilling Center, founder/director of the Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting and Classic City Brew Fest, a BJCP National Beer Judge and Great American Beer Festival judge.
|Follow our craft beer adventures...||
|- Exciting Cask List for Our Classic City Brew Fest!|
Look below for the list of breweries providing delicious, exclusive, one-off cask ales and meads coming to our awesome 24th annual Classic City Brew Fest
in Athens, Georgia! These casks won't be available anywhere else, so get your tickets today! The fest will also feature draft beer booths from local Athens breweries, a BBQ food truck, and two special treats bottle tables with super rare beers popped each hour.
- Named by Beer Connoisseur Magazine as a "Top 20 US Beer Fest for Beer Geeks!"
- Proceeds benefit the Athens Area Humane Society.
Sun., April 7, 2019
Classic City Brew Fest Sponsor Links:
|- Georgia Craft Beer Face Off|
Photo by Ashton Smith
Owen Ogletree gathered Ashton Smith, Niki Schley, Andrew Borchert, Flavia Costa, Ian Meents, Stacy Stewart and The Beer Wench for a blind tasting of 13 craft beers made in Georgia. The tasting was conducted as a best-of-show panel, with each beer evaluated on its adherence to style and drinkability. See below for notes and awards...
DRY COUNTY OLD 41 OATMEAL PORTER
- Roasted malts; burnt bread crust; espresso hints; bitter chocolate; creamy; viscous; not too sweet; good dry finish; pleasant; good beer for the style; medium esters; low hops; nutty quality. Excellent brew.
JAILHOUSE FEDERALE MEXICAN LAGER
- An international pale lager style with light malt aroma; low hops; light corn complexity; mild fruity esters; wonderfully drinkable and well constructed.
- This wild, sour specialty brew with figs and dark candy syrup is dark brown in color with a ruby hint; balsamic hint; figs; leather; nice fruity esters; earthy; complex; malty; dark sugar notes; warming; cherry; dark fruit; acetic/lactic finish is pleasant.
MONDAY NIGHT RUCKSACK HEFEWEIZEN
- This special wheat beer contains Mandarina Bavaria hops and orange peel; notes of clove; orange zest; banana hint; cereal malt; pleasant; wheat character is nice; refreshing; pleasant fruit and orange complexity.
SOUTHBOUND MOUNTAIN JAM SOUTHERN LAGER
- This international pale lager style has a clean aroma; citrusy hops; light malt; subtle bitterness; crisp finish with a hint of malt sweetness; good balance of all notes.
TERRAPIN HOPSECUTIONER IPA
- Perfect appearance for style; malty; floral; earthy; aromatic; light bitterness; malty; could use a bit more American hop flavor and aroma; ends a touch sweet but quite drinkable.
WRECKING BAR HOP NOGGIN' IMPERIAL IPA
- Deep gold in color; murky, hazy; catty hops; sweet melon; malty mouthfeel; sweet finish; honeydew; dank; cantaloupe; rich malt; soft mouthfeel; orange; citrus, floral, honey notes.
EAGLE CREEK TEA PARTY AMBER
- This amber contains orange pekoe and black tea. Toffee hint; caramel note; orange tea; tea makes up for the light hops; tea is quite mild; lightly sweet finish; tannin hint from the tea.
GATE CITY OTP DOUBLE IPA
- Earthy aroma; herbal; piney; pear; rich, herbal hop note; perfumy; resins; tannins; needs a bit more clean American hop character and lighter esters; a pleasant, malty brew.
SECOND SELF MOLE PORTER
- This porter contains cocoa nibs, chilies, chipotles, cinnamon and cloves. Spice hint is nice; clove note; light chocolate; pepper warmth is mild; light/medium body; dry tannins; appearance is perfect; spices are subdued; could perhaps use a bit more malt for a better body and mouthfeel.
REFORMATION CADENCE DUBBEL
- Grain husk note; tannins; earthy malt; dark fruit; prune hint; might be a touch thin for style; fruity; citrus hint; needs a bit more dark fruit and toffee complexity.
ATLANTA BREWING HOMESTAND PILSNER
- This Czech-style premium pale lager contains Mosaic and Cascade hops. Yeasty; bready; mineral note; herbal; grassy; sulfur hint; nice, light pilsner malt; light finish.
MOON RIVER DIXIE KRISTAL TRIPEL
- This Belgian-style tripel contains cane sugar. Clove; Belgian spicy fermentation character; spice; white pepper hint; light, sweet finish; pleasant; rich; nice hop balance; ends slightly sweet for style; a robust, tasty strong ale.
Slow Pour Brewing
This tasty IPA holds just the right amount of aroma, flavor and bittering hops. It's a down-home, easy sippin' style at 5.2% ABV.
At Slow Pour Brewing Company we desire to create something classic, yet new and distinct. We want to brew a line of enjoyable and flavorful beers and have something that everyone can enjoy. Come check out our taproom in Lawrenceville, Georgia and look for our beers in retail outlets.
- 03/23/2019 - TINYPALOOZA beer celebration at the Lincoln Fill Station in Snellville, GA. Tickets
- 04/07/2019 - 24th annual CLASSIC CITY BREW FEST, Athens, GA. 55+ special cask ales, local draft beer booths, food truck, special treats bottle share table! Named by Beer Connoisseur Magazine as a "Top 20 US Beer Fest for Beer Geeks!" Get TICKETS.
|- Brewtopia Events on Facebook & Twitter|
|CLICK HERE and hit the Brewtopia Events "like" button on Facebook to see live photos and news posts as we sip, quaff and sniff craft beer around the world. Also be sure to "friend" Owen Ogletree on Facebook.|
Follow Brewtopia Events on Twitter.
- Owen Ogletree and the Beer Wench take 35 craft beer enthusiasts to northern Spain to check out the beers, ciders, wines and tapas of the region. Watch for photos and posts from the journey next week.