Owen Ogletree's Brewtopia Brewsletter
March 27, 2019
Owen is founder/editor of Brewtopia.info, columnist for Southern Brew News and Beer Connoisseur Magazine, lecturer at Knoxville's Brewing & Distilling Center, founder/director of the Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting and Classic City Brew Fest, a BJCP National Beer Judge and Great American Beer Festival judge.
|Follow our craft beer adventures...||
|- Exciting Cask List Just Announced for Classic City Brew Fest!|
Look below for the complete list of cask descriptions coming to our big 24th annual Classic City Brew Fest
in Athens, Georgia! These 50+ casks won't be available anywhere else, so get your tickets today! The fest will also feature draft beer booths from local Athens breweries, a BBQ food truck, live music, and two special treats bottle tables with super rare beers popped each hour. How can you miss this super special craft beer event?
- Named by Beer Connoisseur Magazine as a "Top 20 US Beer Fest for Beer Geeks!"
- Proceeds benefit the Athens Area Humane Society.
Sun., April 7, 2019
Check out the exciting line-up of exclusive, one-off cask ales for April 7...
- Akademia Brewing On The Pull is a low-gravity, sessionable English mild ale with a twist from additions of lactose and vanilla beans. Expect notes of dark malt, mild fruity esters, light bittering hops, and nuances of creamy sweetness backed by appealing vanilla.
- Alcovy Brewing Patio Beer. Our 4.5% ABV patersbier is modeled after the beer that Trappist monks are rumored to brew for themselves. With notes of clove, peppercorns, mace, and cinnamon, this spicy Belgian-style "single ale" is approachable, complex, and quite refreshing.
- Arches Brewing Equilibrium Pale Ale - An American pale ale with a grain bill designed to provide a moderate body and excellent head retention. Well bittered with Cascade and Chinook that give notes of grapefruit and spice, this cask was dry-hopped with El Dorado, Cascade, and Comet for a citrus and pine aroma.
- Athentic Brewing My Naughty Little Pet is a 9.1% ABV Wee Heavy Scottish ale produced with the historic Edinburgh yeast strain. This exclusive cask has been aging with oak spirals and cocoa nibs. Also check out our draft version of the same beer next to the Akademia booth. A collaboration done at Akademia.
- Atlanta Brewing Conjuring Cultures with Grapefruit is a mixed fermentation farmhouse ale. Imagine a saison fermented in aromatic bourbon barrels with Belgian ale yeast and two funky Brettanomyces strains.
- BeeCraft Sweet Mother of Pearls is our nationally-awarded blueberry, blackberry, and black currant Dark Pearls mead sweetened with North Georgia wildflower honey and aged in the cask with Ceylon and Saigon cinnamon sticks. 13.8% ABV.
- BlueTarp Brewing Purple People Eater is a barrel-aged American sour ale with dragon fruit. This 6.2% ABV ale offers interesting tart notes from the fermentation character, while the dragon fruit provides hints of kiwi and pear complexity.
- Burnt Hickory Snickers Stout. AKA Snicky Snicks, this rich, dessert stout is named in honor of our beloved taproom guy Snickers. At 10% ABV, this is a malty, boozy "candy bar" in a glass!
- Cannon Brew Pub Chocolate Cherry Red Jacket. Red Jacket has been our flagship beer at Cannon for 20 years. It's a malty amber ale with notes of caramel. For this cask, we've added cacao nibs and maraschino cherries.
- Carolina Bauernhaus Plum Gold is our golden sour ale aged on a blend of locally sourced, dried plums. A Mosaic dry-hop was added to this unique cask for a layer of berry medley, citrus, and stone fruit notes.
- Cherry Street The Lost Boyz - A 6% ABV sour blonde ale fermented with boysenberries and cranberries. Vanilla beans and blueberries were also added to this special cask for an added layer of mouth-watering flavors.
- Chops & Hops / Southern Brewing Collaboration BAM That's Hazy is a juicy, hazy, IPA with Mandarina Bavaria and Simcoe hops with added complexity from additions of blackberry, apricot, and mango.
- Coastal Empire Clouds of Pineapple Milkshake IPA is brewed with generous amounts of oats, wheat, milk sugar, and pineapple. All hops were added post-boil, with Citra and Azacca making up the fragrant dry-hops. Aged on Madagascar vanilla, this special cask will be like creamy pineapple soft serve in a glass.
- Creature Comforts Lemon Verbena DaySpring. Our cask is a version of our award-winning grisette Belgian-style session ale with local wheat and locally grown lemon verbena.
- Dry County Kope Niu Old 41. We took our gold medal winning oatmeal stout and conditioned it with Kona coffee, coconut flakes and a dash of vanilla caviar for a Hawaiian take on our favorite stout.
- Eagle Creek Blueberry Ascension of the Kaiju. Kaiju means "strange creature" in Japanese. That's exactly what we created in this satisfying, 4.5% ABV pilsner-type brew with light green tea, ginger, and a pile of blueberries added to the cask.
- Etowah Meadery Hopped Up OMG is made with Georgia honey, mountain water, mangos, guava and Amarillo dry-hops. One sip of this tasty mead would make Athena start hopping around saying "OMG!"
- Eventide Kattegat Baltic Porter was cask-conditioned with dark brown sugar, and the residual sweetness accentuates the vinous and chocolate flavors of the beer, while the fine, soft carbonation delivered by cask-conditioning presents a luxuriously smooth mouthfeel and taste profile.
- Firewater Brewing Super Dry-Hopped Hop Chief. We dry-hopped this brew three times with Citra and Mosaic on top of an already juicy, citrusy, and slightly hazy IPA. Truly the chief of hops, this cask offers massive citrus and floral notes from extra additions of Citra, Mosaic, and Eureka hops.
- Fyne Ales Sublime Stout (Scotland, UK) - A dark, deep ruby red stout with aromas of roasted malt and a hint of licorice. Mellow sweetness and a malty fruitiness are followed by a smooth, dry finish. Sublime Stout gets hopped four times, including dry-hopping in the cask.
- Fyne Ales Superior IPA (Scotland, UK) is 7.1% ABV with Citra and Cascade hops backed by aromas of apricot and peach. Flavors of tropical and stone fruits lead to a pleasant, bittersweet finish. Superior IPA is generously hopped at four points of the brewing process, including dry-hopping in the cask.
- Gate City Sweet Heat OTP is our 8% ABV double IPA with loads of mango, hot chilies, and a dash of lime. The flavor starts with sweet mango goodness, then the heat slowly creeps in, warming you from the inside out. It's like sitting in a hot tub with your soulmate.
- Good Word Brewing Rocksteady English Mild. This 3.4% ABV classic UK-style ale offers elegant notes of toffee, leather, mild fruit, and malt complexity. It's easy on the alcohol, yet loaded with flavor. Number One of the bad guy English beer duo.
- Hi-Wire Brewing Hop Circus Berzerkus. We took our fruity, juicy Hop Circus series and crushed it with 4.5 pounds per barrel of Azacca dry-hops. Expect huge tropical fruit notes and a smooth body from the flaked oats and flaked wheat.
- Ironmonger Brewing Stop! Mango-Guava Time is a mango/guava Belgian-style wheat beer adapted from our staple witbier, Too Legit To Wit. With additions of fresh mango and guava, this 4.9% ABV cask is bursting with succulent tropical flavors.
- Left Hand Brewing Milk Stout with Mint. Roasted malt and coffee flavors build the foundation of this creamy sweet stout. The addition of mint will remind you that it's time to order Thin Mints from your neighbor's daughter.
- Left Nut Brewing Cruisin' for a Blusin'. Our inspiration for this cask came from a beer and cupcake pairing. The cask is Hooch Shootin' NE IPA fruited with blueberries and lemon. Expect juicy hops, with a sweet and sour kick from the fruit. Let them have cake!
- Lincoln Fill Station / Cherry Street Collaboration Triple Chocolate Chunk is our 12% Russian imperial stout aged in a Belle Meade Bourbon barrel. Three types of chocolate and toasted coconut were added to this extraordinary cask.
- Lonerider Brewing Addie's Revenge with Tropical Fruit. Addie has taken a wild ride in her search for revenge. Lonerider's limited Citra and Amarillo IPA has picked up three intriguing fruit additions for this one-off cask: orange zest, mango, and watermelon.
- Macon Beer Company Cherry Chocolate Milkshake Ale. We took a cherry rye ale and blended lactose, cacao nibs, and vanilla beans, creating a cherry chocolate milkshake ale with an additional fresh cherry puree.
- Max Lager's Southern Passion Hopsplosion. Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, El Dorado, and Azacca were added at the last minute to give this IPA a luscious tropical character bursting with notes of pineapple, mango, orange, and guava. This cask also contains a dose of Southern Passion hops from South Africa. 7.5% ABV.
- Monday Night Dark Dessert Matter is thick, roasty, and toasty with chocolate and coffee notes. We decided to play into these elements by adding locally-roasted Batdorf & Bronson coffee, Ghirardelli chocolate, and toasted coconut to the cask. At 12% ABV, this truly is a stout to savor with dessert.
- Moon River Double Dry-Hopped Cosmic Terror Pale Ale with passion fruit. From the outer reaches comes a juicy, 5.9% ABV, hypnotic pale ale, thrumming with forbidden knowledge of ancient gods. The dark ritual involves untold quantities of Galaxy and Mosaic hops, performed twice for good measure, accompanied by the flesh sacrifice of the otherworldly passion fruit. Seriously, have you ever seen the inside of a passion fruit? Google it.
- New Realm Reserve Belgian Tripel with Sabro dry-hops and oak chips. We dry-hopped this classic Belgian-style tripel with the new Sabro hop variety that adds coconut and fruity flavors, and then steeped it on bourbon-soaked oak chips. 10% ABV.
- Oconee Brewing Dukes & Bell's Hey Man Watermelon & Lime Blonde Ale. This 5% ABV golden ale is brewed in collaboration with 92.9 The Game Atlanta Sports Radio. Watermelon and lime were added, creating a refreshing and crushable springtime beer that's fruity but not over the top.
- Orpheus Native Funk 1 is our one-year Méthode Traditionnelle from a single barrel. Brewed with a turbid mash and aged hops, then cooled and wildly inoculated in our coolships before spontaneously fermenting in barrels for a year, this soft ale offers mild acidity with notes of lemon, cheese, white grapes, and a hint of barnyard.
- Oskar Blues Double Dry-Hopped Can O'Bliss Tropical. "Trop it like it's hot… and hazy!" It's a paradise of pineapple, mango, and citrus topped off with a mix of Idaho 7, Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra, El Dorado and Azacca hops. For this cask, we added an additional, generous charge of Strata hops to lend dank, passion fruit notes.
- Pontoon Brewing Maple Chocolate Pecan Pie Porter is a 6.5% porter brewed with molasses, then aged on pecans. This one-of-a-kind, flavorful cask also contains cacao and maple syrup.
- Queenswood Pub Glitteris is an American farmhouse sour ale with funk and flavor from yeast, bacteria, passion fruit and lychee. The dark purple color comes from the butterfly pea flower Clitoria ternatae that's said to provide antioxidants and slow down premature aging. And, of course, glitter was added. Sparkle on!
- Red Hare Real Passion. Fresh passion fruit complements this northwest Atlanta version of an English IPA that crossed the pond only to find it prefers the States and wants to be a fruit-forward, new school, American IPA on tour with all its fancy new friends.
- Reformation Maple-Vanilla Russian Imperial Stout. Expect complex, deep aromas and flavors of dark fruit, chocolate, espresso, and caramelized sugars in this rich, potent dark ale.
- Scofflaw Brewing Sucker Punch IPA. This flavorful cask was dry-hopped with Citra and conditioned on mangos and peaches for an explosive profile of citrus and stone fruit intensity.
- Second Self Jalisco Night is our guava Berliner weisse with fresh blueberries for added tartness and red jalapeño peppers for a spark of heat. 4.6% ABV.
- Service Brewing Armistice IPA brewed with the crop year 2018 Veteran’s Blend of hops and pink guava. Ekuanot, Mosaic, Cashmere, Simcoe, and Centennial hops make this 6.9% ABV, heavily dry-hopped IPA extremely aromatic and juicy, and the addition of pink guava elevates the melon and papaya notes.
- Southern Brewing Company Cuchulainn Irish-Style Red Ale comes in at 5% ABV and provides wonderful notes of caramel, bread crust, and light bittering hops for a southern take on a classic style from the Emerald Isle. Made with small-batch Irish malts.
- SweetWater Brewing cask TBA.
- Terrapin Mr. Krunkles. Pull the crumbs out of your mustache for a sip of our Mr. Krunkles cask. This straight-up IPA was inspired by the most famous IPA brewer who ever lived… Krunkles! Packed with Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Mosaic and Zythos hops for over-the-top juiciness.
- Three Taverns Krispy Kreme Milk Stout is an 8% ABV imperial milk stout with added sweetness and complexity from Krispy Kreme doughnuts. No need to watch for the hot doughnut sign, just make sure the tap is flowing!
- Torched Hop Outta Control - This double IPA was brewed with the best Australian and New Zealand hops available. Massive notes of mango, peach, passion fruit and citrus jump out of the glass.
- Twain's British Golden Ale was brewed with 75% Maris Otter malt, 25% Golden Promise malt and rare UK Jester hops, and the style could be considered a UK interpretation of an American Pale Ale. The malt is clean but has substance, the hops are fruity/earthy and in balance with the malt, and the English yeast produces mild fruity esters. 5.4% ABV.
- Variant Brewing Imperial Raspberry Lemon Gose is a 10.5% ABV tart, salty ale with an extra dose of raspberries and lemon zest in this exclusive cask.
- Wicked Weed Persistence is an amber sour ale with Montmorency cherries. The brew was aged in wooden foeders for two months and then transferred to red wine barrels for an additional six months to complete its aging and produce layers of complexity.
- Wild Heaven Double Oaked Eschaton Belgian Quad is a big, malty beer reminiscent of a rich red wine with a drier finish than you'd expect from 10.5% ABV. This Belgian strong dark ale abounds with dark fruit and pit fruit flavors, and the vanilla notes from the oak add delightful complexity.
- Wild Leap Bourbon Blackberry Creme Brûlée Stout. This is a single barrel Ventured Oatmeal Chocolate Stout aged for a full year in a Jim Beam barrel with blackberries, lactose, and vanilla.
- Wrecking Bar Vanilla Siberius Maximus Russian Imperial Stout. Our popular high-gravity stout with notes of chocolate, coffee, molasses, and dark fruit. This special cask was conditioned on Tahitian vanilla beans for a decadent finish.
Classic City Brew Fest Sponsor Links:
|- Events for Athens, GA Beer Week|
|Come out to Athens on April 1-7 to enjoy all the fun happenings for the annual Athens Beer Week...|
- 04:00 PM - “The Space Race” - a pub walk gathering of all four Athens breweries in support of each other. The walk starts at 4 PM at Blue Sky. Cutters Pub at 5:15, The Globe around 6:30, and Manhattan at 7:45 PM. Come join in!
- 05:00 PM - SOUTH KITCHEN + BAR Wild Leap Tap Takeover.
- 05:00 PM - CREATURE COMFORTS tasting room is open with special beers.
- 06:00 PM - OWEN OGLETREE conducts a FREE 90-minute "Beer Science Cafe" off-flavor seminar and tasting at Little Kings pub in downtown Athens. 21 and up. Sold out.
- 06:00 PM - BLUE SKY Joint Tap Takeover with Terrapin, Southern Brewing Company, and North 2 South Cider Works.
- 08:30 PM - HI-LO LOUNGE beer trivia. Win two free passes to the Classic City Brew Fest!
- 09:00 PM - WONDERBAR Beat the Brewers - featuring three Akademia beers. Guests will challenge Akademia's brewers at any arcade game for prizes.
- 04:00 PM - TERRAPIN'S taproom is open with special brews pouring.
- 05:00 PM - CREATURE COMFORTS tasting room is open with special beers.
- 05:30 PM - SOUTHERN BREWING COMPANY's taproom opens with a lineup of celebratory beers.
- 06:00 PM - AKADEMIA Casey’s Magic Rest Lounge grand opening of Akademia's new lounge area in the brewery. New menu launch, a special beer tapping, and a beer dunk tank where customers try to dunk the brewers. The Georgia Dish Boys will be playing at 7:30 PM.
- 06:00 PM - LUMBERJAXE Terrapin tap takeover with 25% off axe throwing.
- 07:00 PM - BLUE SKY Wild Leap Tap Takeover.
- 04:00 PM - TERRAPIN's taproom is open with special brews pouring.
- 05:00 PM - SOUTHERN BREWING COMPANY's taproom opens with a lineup of celebratory beers.
- 05:00 PM - CREATURE COMFORT's taproom is open with special brews.
- 06:00 PM - TERRAPIN CHEERS TO ATHENS. The Terrapin staff hits downtown to celebrate with our Athens friends and family by doing a small pub crawl visiting Little Kings, Flanagan’s, Cutter’s, Georgia Theatre and Manhattan Cafe.
- 07:00 PM - BUTT HUTT Trivia Night with Southern Brewing and Normaltown Brewing Company.
- 01:00 PM - TERRAPIN's taproom is open with special brews pouring.
- 03:00 PM - CREATURE COMFORT's taproom is open with special brews.
- 04:00 to 8:00 PM - TRAPPEZE PUB will be giving away raffle tickets with the purchase of a flight of Terrapin beers. The flight includes the new Golden Ale, a TBA seasonal sour, Chopsecutioner IPA, and Richland Reserve. The winner will receive free Atlanta Braves tickets and need not be present at the time of the drawing.
- 05:00 PM - SOUTHERN BREWING COMPANY's taproom opens with a lineup of celebratory beers.
- 06:30 PM - CHOPS & HOPS beer dinner featuring beers from Ironmonger and Southern Brewing along with a cider from North 2 South Cidery. $65 (including tax & gratuity). Call Chops & Hops to reserve.
- 08:30 PM - AKADEMIA dual can release of Olen Av Odin Black Lager and Ov Wolf & Grüngeist India Pale Lager with two live sets by Beast Mode starting at 9:30 PM. No cover charge.
- 01:00 PM - CREATURE COMFORT's taproom is open with special brews.
- 02:30 PM - SOUTHERN BREWING COMPANY's taproom opens with a lineup of celebratory beers.
- 04:30 PM - TERRAPIN 17th Anniversary Carnival at the brewery. Ticket includes beer samples, entertainment, a souvenir glass, and brewery tours. Tickets: https://terrapinbeer.com/anniversary-carnival/
- 02:30 PM - 24th annual CLASSIC CITY BREW FEST at the Athens Cotton Press. 50+ exclusive cask ales, local draft booths, live music, and special treat bottle tables. www.BrewFest.net
- 06:00 PM - POST-BREWFEST GATHERINGS at TRAPPEZE PUB, AKADEMIA, and HI-LO LOUNGE. Trappeze will be offering special kegs, casks, and hearty food plates. The free shuttle (limited seating) will run from the BrewFest to Trappeze after the festival.
Plan a scenic drive to Dahlonega in the north Georgia mountains for awesome hiking and a refreshing stop at the Etowah Meadery tasting room. Basically, mead is honey wine, and the guys at Etowah know how to produce a range of delicious meads to please every palate.
Etowah usually offers a dozen or so meads in the tasting room, with our favorites being the Rainier Cherry Deluge, Strawberry Rhubarb and IPA Wanna Bee made with oranges and Amarillo, Galaxy and Mosaic hops. Each mead is made with local Georgia honey, and owner Blair Housley (pictured below) is always happy to explain the history of mead and how it's produced.
Bottles and cans are available for takeaway and in retail outlets around north Georgia.
- 04/06/2019 - TERRAPIN 17th Anniversary Carnival at the Athens brewery. Ticket includes beer samples, entertainment, a souvenir glass, and brewery tours. Tickets.
- 04/07/2019 - 24th annual CLASSIC CITY BREW FEST, Athens, GA. 50+ special cask ales, local draft beer booths, food truck, live music, special treats bottle share table! Named by Beer Connoisseur Magazine as a "Top 20 US Beer Fest for Beer Geeks!" Get TICKETS NOW.
- 04/13/2019 - CREATURE COMFORTS Five Year Anniversary Celebration with special beers, live music, and an open-air market. Details here.
|- Brewtopia Events on Facebook & Twitter|
|CLICK HERE and hit the Brewtopia Events "like" button on Facebook to see live photos and news posts as we sip, quaff and sniff craft beer around the world. Also be sure to "friend" Owen Ogletree on Facebook.|
Follow Brewtopia Events on Twitter.
- Owen Ogletree and the Beer Wench will post about many of the exciting happenings during Athens, GA Beer Week April 1-7.