Beyond the trees full of lots of blooms this week has some significant updates on blues news items found below. The most important is the date and location are now available for the 2019 annual membership meeting. We are holding an old school PARTY this year as a thank you event for our members! The "meeting" convenes on Friday, May 17th at 7pm at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville. Admission is free for current members and others may buy tickets/memberships at the door for $15. The music for the evening will include The Dawn Cate Band as well as a jam. Read on below for more information.
Blues in the Schools has wrapped up our 2018-2019 school year but we are looking to plan more events for 2019-2020. Check out the article below to find out how you can get involved!
This week's calendar below has many fun events for you to check out. End of year recitals for UA Music are underway so I
have included a couple for this week.
And always remember, this is YOUR newsletter! Please send feedback or suggestions our way. You can reach me by email at the address below. We LOVE our readers and want to see
your ideas included!
It's a Wrap
Blues in the Schools
As the 2018-2019 school year comes to a close, Ozark Blues Society is excited and honored to have once again to have had the opportunity to bring Blues Education to more than 700 young people in Fayetteville. We once again shared with the 7th grade students in Fayetteville Public Schools as well as a history class at Hass Hall Academy. As always our first round of thanks go out to our local musicians who join us in our desire to keep the blues alive for the next generation. For this year, we specifically want to thank Tony Redman, The Brick Fields Band, Ocie Fisher, and Buddy Shute and the Motivators!
With nearly ten years of outreach under our belts we have a multitude of experience of working with teachers and local artists in both small and large group settings. We meld a music oriented outreach that is fun for students with curriculum study points provided by the teachers, and present the vibrant history of the American art form known as blues.
As we close this year's activities the OBS Board of directors is looking forward to the the 2019-2020 school year. If you are a teacher, know a teacher, or are a parent who feels your class or school would benefit from a blues education program, please contact Sandy McCann.
Over the years we have funded our blues education outreach through grants and generous donations from members, allowing us to bring programs into schools often for no cost to the school so please contact us about these options if your school of class would benefit from this enrichment activity outside of the
planned budget available to you. Additionally, if you are an individual or organization interested in supporting this program please email Bill Baird
Below is just a sample of the experience. Thank you Woodland and Ramey Junior High Schools for hosting us!
Final weeks to Submit!
Ozark Blues Society
Board of Directors
The nomination process for the offices of President and Treasurer for the Ozark Blues Society board of directors is in it's final weeks. If you have someone you wish to nominate, please email the head of our nominating committee Bill Baird with the name and contact information of the interested party. Our nominating committee will follow up with the person being nominated to confirm their willingness to serve and gather additional information. The nominating committee will present their candidates on April 30, 2019. Once committee nominations have closed, nominations "from the floor" are open until Friday, May 3rd per the bylaws. Please remember current membership
is required to officially nominate and
vote. Email Bill if you wish to nominate through this process.
The annual meeting is slated to be held on Friday, May 17 from 7-10 pm at the Meteor Guitar Gallery. Admission is free to current members. Tickets/memberships may be bought at the door for $15. The event will include live music by The Dawn Cate Band, followed by a jam. Email LIZ LOTTMANN for more information or to be included in the jam.
The board is also seeking to add new members to the board itself. Please feel free to recommend someone you think might be a good fit, or you may volunteer yourself! Again, email Liz (above) with contact information.
4/12 - 4/20
Please enjoy the following listings comprised of bands, venues, and/or organizations that support Ozark Blues Society. Always check with individual venues for event details and schedule changes.
- Jesse Dean and Co and The Boss Tweeds for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Leah and the Cocktail Club at Sassafras Springs Vineyard in Fayetteville
- Jenna and the Soul Shakers at Six Twelve Coffeehouse and Bar in Fayetteville
- Fayetteville Jazz Festival: Doug Stone Quartet at Guisinger Music House in Fayetteville
- Home Sweet Home - House Show Festival at various venues in Bentonville downtownbentonville.org
- An evening of jazz with Michael Fields Jr at Sunrise Stage in Fayetteville
- Fayetteville Jazz Festival: Music and workshops at the Fayetteville Public Library in Fayetteville
- Sugar Creek at Sassafras Springs Vineyard in Fayetteville
- Roby Pantall Jazz Duo at Ruth Chris in Rogers
- Jimmy Wayne Garrett and the Dreamwalkers at Levi's Gastrolounge in Rogers
- Woodland at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Angela Edge Music at The Nines in Bentonville
- Keith Nicholson Trio at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- Gospel Brunch with Brick Fields at Hoppin' John's in Fayetteville
- Saving Abel with Rehab at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Barratt Baber for Brew Room Sessions at Bike Rack Brewing in Bentonville
- The Baskins at Terra Studios in Durham
- Jimmy Wayne Garrett at The Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs
- Jim Mills at JJ's Grill and Chill in Springdale
- Open Mic at Six Twelve Coffeehouse and Bar in Fayetteville
- Blues Therapy with Brick Fields at Moranos in Fayetteville
- Jazz Night at West and Watson in Fayetteville
- Royal Wood at the WAC in Fayetteville
- UA Latin American Ensemble at the ACO in Springdale
- Vince Turner at JJ's Grill and Chill in Rogers
- Randall Shreve at The Nines in Bentonville
- UA Fort Smith Jazz Concert at the ArcBest Performing Arts Center in Fort Smith
- Earl and Them at Cherokee Casino in West Siloam OK
- Earl and Them and Mudhawk for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Benny Green Trio with Veronica Swift at the WAC in Fayetteville
- DOG with BKR and The Wedington Drive at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Honey Shuffle at Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville
Mark Your Calendar
- 4/23 Victor Wooten Band at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- 4/26 Thunderstruck: America's AC/DC at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- 5/7 Marbin (jazz) at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- 6/29 Delbert McClinton Band at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
On this day
in Blues History
Today’s show features music performed by Big Joe Turner and Ann Rabson
"The blues are the roots and the other musics are the fruits. It's better keeping the roots alive, because it means better fruits from now on. The blues are the roots of all American music. As long as American music survives, so will the blues."
Blues Education Supporters
Check Out these regular local radio programs
"The Generic Blues Show" hosted by Paul Kelso airs every Friday night at 9pm on KUAF 91.3FM
Rockin' Hog Radio presents "Sunday Morning Blues" from 8am to 10am every Sunday
Get Involved with the Ozark Blues Society
Annual membership levels begin at $15 and give you so much in return, including meeting new friends while enjoying the best blues artists in the area.
By being a member of The Ozark Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas, you are helping to support the Arts and to preserve the Original American Art Form known as The Blues.
Membership Benefits Include:
Opportunities to win tickets to events
VIP seating at events (when available)
Discounts on OBS merchandise
Social networking – meeting other people who also love the blues
Opportunities to volunteer on OBS committees and at events
Ability to attend board meetings and vote on upcoming organizational issues and elections
Visit our Website to renew or join! Ozarkbluessociety.org