Yep....I can't help myself. Two weeks
from today I will be in Memphis in the midst of the International Blues Challenge. Between then and now, so much is happening in preparation. I haven't packed yet, lol, but I am watching
the weather predictions and thinking
about it! If you are a reader of this newsletter and are going to attend IBC, please drop by Hard Rock Cafe on Wednesday or Thursday nights to say hello. I will be that lady with the 2-way radio running around like crazy trying to keep everything running smoothly. Help celebrate my 10th year as Venue Coordinator at Hard Rock!
Even if 2020 is not your year to attend the International Blues Challenge, you don't want to miss our annual IBC Fundraiser being held at the 21c Hotel in Bentonville NEXT Saturday. We hold this fundraiser to raise funds to support our sponsored entry to the IBC. Come and cheer Brick Field Blues Therapy Band as they give one of their final performances before heading to Memphis. Online ticket sales are still open and tickets can be bought at the door as well. Do remember reserved seating is limited. Check the article below or visit our website for more information. Once again this week you will find a couple articles related to our 2020 annual meeting and elections as well as a call for input for our January Fundraiser silent auction.
Feel I am missing an event? Just
click the link below to email Sandy.
And always remember, this is YOUR newsletter! Please send feedback or suggestions our way. You can reach me by email at the address below. We appreciate our readers and want
to see your ideas included!
Join Us Next Week!
Ozark Blues Society
Each year Ozark Blues Society hosts a fundraiser to assist with the cost of sending our Blues Challenge winners to the International Blues Challenge in Memphis. This popular event is going to once again be held at the 21c Museum Hotel in Bentonville. This exciting event is next Saturday, January 25, 2020. Our winning band, Brick Fields Blues Therapy will highlight the night with special guests The Downtown Livewires and the Jimmy Wayne Garrett Band. The link to purchase tickets for the event is now available. Visit www.ozarkbluessociety.org
or link directly to our EventBrite Bound For Beale Ticket sales page, HERE
A limited number of sponsored reserved tables are available. Please email OBSVIPTIX@gmail.com for more information.
and Annual Meeting
Is that time of year again....our nominating committee is accepting input of names for potential nominees for the board
of directors as well as the for the offices up for election in 2020. The annual meeting and elections will
be held in March, with the date
to be announced soon.
The offices of Vice President and Secretary are up for election for two year terms, and the currently unfilled office of treasurer is open for a one year term. Those being nominated must hold
a current membership in OBS, but
a new/renewed membership may
be initiated for a nominee who is not currently an active member but who wishes to accept a nomination. If you would like to nominate someone (or yourself) please email Bruce Barton
Can You Help?
Silent Auction Donations Sought for January
During the year, Ozark Blues Society produces blues education events, holds our annual Blues Challenge, and sponsors the Challenge winners to help with the major parts of the cost of their participation in the International Blues Challenge in Memphis. Though we are extremely grateful for our corporate sponsors such as Clorox, The Meteor Guitar Gallery, and Arkansas Music Works, we strive to raise funds to fully cover the expenses of the programs we offer. One important part of the January fundraiser is our silent auction. Our board members support the auction with donations of items and services, but we would love to see our members and readers get involved. Think you might have an item or service you could contribute? If so, please contact Liz Lottmann with any questions or to offer your items.
1/17 - 1/25
Please enjoy the following listings comprised of bands, venues, and/or organizations that support Ozark Blues Society. Always check with individual venues for event details and schedule changes.
- Earl and Them and The Odds for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Benjamin Del Shreeve at Fred's Country Inn in Bentonville
- Dave at The Nines in Bentonville
- Blue Muse at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- Jimmy Wayne Garrett at Brews in Eureka Springs
- Jazz by the Fireplace at Sassafras Springs Vineyard in Fayetteville
- 2020 Songwriters Summit Live at Midtown Associates in Springdale
- Matt Gilmore Band at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Samantha Hunt at Fred's Country Inn in Bentonville
- Magnolia Road at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Dominic Bryan Roy at The Nines in Bentonville
- Matthew Campbell at The Space at the District in Bentonville
- Jim Mills at JJ's Grill and Chill on Steamboat in Fayetteville
- Isayah Warford at JJ's Grill and Chill in Springdale
- Brick Fields Blues Therapy at Moranos in Fayetteville
- Gary Hutchison at JJ's Grill and Chill in Fort Smith
- The Bel Airs for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Jon Dooly at Fred's Country Inn in Bentonville
- Jess Harp, Jamie Lou Connoly, and Pura Coco at Record in Bentonville
- Keith Nicholson at JJ's Grill and Chill in Bella Vista
- Jimmy Wayne Garrett at Brews in Eureka Springs
- Bound for Beale IBC Fundraiser at the 21c Hotel in Bentonville
- School of Rock Bentonville Winter Showcase #2 at The Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Will Brand at Fred's Country Inn in Bentonville
- E=F Flat Blues Duo at Ramo d' Olivo in Bentonville
- Will Payne Harrison at Bike Rack in Bentonville
Mark Your Calendar
- 1/28-2/1 The International Blues Challenge in Memphis
- 2/04 Mike Zito's Big Blues Band at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- 2/19 Cate Brother Movie Premier at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
On this day
in Blues History
Today’s show features music performed by Clara Smith and Paul Rishell
“Clara was a teenage girl like any other; the object of her passion was only an accessory to the passion itself, a passion that through its long suppression was now asserting itself with volcanic necessity.”
Blues Education Supporters
Check Out these regular local radio programs
"The Generic Blues Show" hosted by Paul Kelso airs every Friday night at 9pm on KUAF 91.3FM
Rockin' Hog Radio presents "Sunday Morning Blues" from 8am to 10am every Sunday
Get Involved with the Ozark Blues Society
Annual membership levels begin at $15 and give you so much in return, including meeting new friends while enjoying the best blues artists in the area.
By being a member of The Ozark Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas, you are helping to support the Arts and to preserve the Original American Art Form known as The Blues.
Membership Benefits Include:
Opportunities to win tickets to events
VIP seating at events (when available)
Discounts on OBS merchandise
Social networking – meeting other people who also love the blues
Opportunities to volunteer on OBS committees and at events
Ability to attend board meetings and vote on upcoming organizational issues and elections
Visit our Website to renew or join! Ozarkbluessociety.org