IT BEGINS: Dance With Dror, Eran, and Tamir Tonight!!!|
CID Live and Virtual As Of 10/6/21 Weekly Update
(WE WILL TRY TO ZOOM TONIGHT)
7:30PM - 11:30 CHICAGO TIME
THIS WEEK ONLY AT THE BERNARD WEINGER JCC
300 REVERE ROAD NORTHBROOK
Machol Merkaz T-shirts Available For Purchase!!!
WE BACK AT BETH EMET ON THURSDAY OCTOBER 14 STARTING AT 7:30PM (new time)
7:30PM - 11:30 CENTRAL!!!
Congregation Beth Emet, 1224 Dempster Street, Evanston, IL
or in your living room 😁😁😁
867 8010 0439 PSWD = 376030
PLEASE GO TO THE END OF THE NEWSLETTER FOR AN UPDATE TO THIS IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING MACHOL MERKAZ AND OUR THINKING REGARDING COVID AND REQUIRED PCR TESTING
Hey all. A few things.
First off, WE'LL SEE YOU ON OCTOBER 6TH FROM 7:30PM-11:30. Zoomers, I WON'T KNOW UNTIL SESSION TIME IF I WILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN BROADCASTING BUT I WILL TRY. IF YES, IT WILL BE OUR USUAL LINK. I WILL TRY TO KEEP YOU INFORMED.
Next, we will celebrate September babies THIS week on Wednesday night at our pre-camp dance, Erev Machol Merkaz.
This week of Machol Merkaz, our session will be held on Wednesday night, October 6 at the Bernard Weinger JCC with guests from Israel, Dror Davidi, Eran Bitton AND TAMIR SHALEV (who is stepping in for Elad Shtamer who cannot be with us). BUT YOU MUST BE FULLY VAXED TO ATTEND THE PRE-CAMP DANCE AND YOU MUST BE MASKED.
Please join us for the pre-camp dance on Wednesday, October 6, "Erev Machol Merkaz” at the Bernard Weinger JCC 300 Revere Dr, Northbrook, IL 60062. The price is $15 for Machol Merkazers, $20 for others.
7:30PM - beginners/general with Penny Brichta
8:00-1130PM - Workshop/Dance Party with Dror Davidi, Eran Bitton, & Tamir Shalev!
Going forward, our session starts at 7:30PM Central Time!!!
Changes To The Machol Merkaz Guest Team From Israel
One door closes, another door opens...
Cutting to the chase, Elad won't be able to get his visa in time. So he is not available for MMZ 2021. But thanks to help from Dror and Eran, I just spoke with Tamir Shalev and he has agreed to join us!
Elad applied for a visa a while ago, but he has been informed that it will take at least 5-6 weeks before he will have it, so by his suggestion, we have moved on from him for this year. 😪 Let's hope for next year! 😊
For those who are not aware of Tamir he has become a very successful choreographer and session leader. He is also a genuinely nice guy who will be a great fit for our camp. Some of his dances include kama yamim, simanei hazman, nagat li balev, masa, nipagesh bachalomot...
We are thrilled that Tamir has agreed on such short notice to join us and to have him as part of this wonderful team with Dror and Eran! Elad, you will be sorely missed but we know we will see you in the future.
Next, we will celebrate September babies this week on Wednesday night at our pre-camp dance, Erev Machol Merkaz.
And last, on Erev Thanksgiving Beth Emet is not available for our annual marathon. If you know of a location that might be suitable for us, please call them first to find out if it is feasible. After you have found a potential place, message me privately. Thanks in advance.
It really is great to be dancing together live again (and our zoom community as well).
Penny led the first part of the evening. Yay Penny! she reviewed Tamir Shalev's Masa. So check it our here if you want. Masa Video
I reviewed another of Tamir's circle dances, Derech Kol Ha'ahavot. We used to do this one a lot. Glad we are bringing it back. Derech Kol Ha'ahavot Video
And for partners, I reviewed this one by Tamir Shalev, Simanei Hazman
I also reviewed another of Tamir's wonderful partner dances, Nagat Li Balev
Challenge Dance - How about this one by Tamir Shalev? Nipagesh Bachalomot
I am so looking forward to seeing almost this entire group (+ many others) of CID Virtual leaders at Machol Merkaz:
Oh, and now your can order your Machol Merkaz 2021 T-shirts and Totes! (front and back shown below)
This iconic locator mark takes on new meaning for us this year as we gather to dance together on October 7-10, 2021, at Machol Merkaz. We have waited two long years to dance together again. The Machol Merkaz 2021 dance camp t-shirt —“WE ARE HERE—DANCE! BETTER TOGETHER” celebrates that at long last, we will be dancing face-to-face as one community.
In spite of the pandemic, or perhaps because of it, truly miraculous connections we made. We “danced virtually anywhere” during the pandemic thanks to the love of our community and the idea, hard work, and dedication of Phil Moss and other dance leaders around the world who alleviated the forced isolation which affected all of us. The silver lining that emerged from this experience is that we are now interconnected as a global Israeli dance community in a way we could not have imagined. We now know people from all over the world who we probably would never have met but who share our love—our passion— for Israeli dance. That is truly a blessing.
But although dancing virtually kept us connected, helped relieve our isolation, and kept us moving, Israeli dance is meant to be done together. So now, we take nothing for granted but we move forward with optimism. Because that is what we do—that is what we have always done. Your purchase of a Machol Merkaz 2021 t-shirt will help us celebrate being together while simultaneously supporting Machol Merkaz 2021 scholarships. We are BETTER TOGETHER!
Here is a look at our format (and go here to look at the dances we taught Dances Taught):
7:30-9PM: circles/lines (including teaching) The first part will be beginners focused. At some point later in that session, maybe around 8:30 we'll teach a circle dance intended for the general repertoire.
9-11PM: mixed partners/circles sets. We'll teach one partner dance, pretty close to 9 after a few circle dances.
11-11:30PM: ending partners
We plan to continue to broadcast on zoom as long as people want to join and support us. If things work out, we will have guest leaders do some short sets sprinkled in. We are also able to have remote people show up on the big screen in our room! We hope to maintain the wonderful connections we have made over the past year to the extent we can. This is a work in progress. We'll see where it goes. For now expect mostly a broadcast with some interactivity too if we can.
OUR INDOOR SESSIONS ARE OPEN ONLY TO THOSE WHO ARE FULLY VAXED. BEFORE YOU COME, PLEASE SEND A PHOTO OF YOUR VACCINATION CARD TO PHIL AT: firstname.lastname@example.org or via my whatsapp at +1 312 519 8669. Many of you have already sent me your cards. Thanks so much. The rest of you, keep them coming.
AS OF THIS WRITING (and this could change at any moment), WE ARE REQUIRED TO MASK EVERYWHERE IN THE SYNAGOGUE!!! IT IS REQUIRED OUTSIDE THE DANCE ROOM TOO!!! We are permitted to have food, but only pre-packaged.
COST: $15 on non-party nights (our costs have gone up significantly) Add a few more bucks on party nights please. Also, if you want to bring some goodies to share, they must be pre-packaged please.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU ARRIVE - Enter the building from the parking lot on the west side of the building. Ring the bell and wait to be buzzed in to the inner door. At that point please identify yourself as a dancer and you will be admitted to the building. Please go straight ahead and then down the stairs to the Weiner Room, our dance space (and adjacent to the washrooms we use.) PLEASE DO NOT AT ANY TIME GO TO ANY OTHER PART OF THE BUILDING.
IF YOU ARRIVE AFTER 10:30 WE MAY NOT NOTICE YOU TO LET YOU IN. IF THAT HAPPENS, TRY TEXTING OR WHATSAPPING PHIL AT 312.519.8669, AND PLEASE BE PATIENT.
Stay tuned for further information. Can't wait be together with everyone in our dance home!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
In this issue:
If you feel like helping to support CID Virtual financially, you can use PayPal Direct Paypal Link or Chase Quickpay (Zelle) (email@example.com) or Venmo (PhilipBMoss - phone last 4: 8669). Zoomers, we need your support to keep this going.
- Our WhatsApp Group
- Order Your CID-Virtual T-shirt
- Last Week 9/30 (and recordings) And More
- Personals/Shout Outs
- Machol Merkaz
- Publicizing Your Dance Events on chicagoisraelidancing.com
- Report on July 24 Episode 6 of La Mona Myr's Riku meshuGAME With Challengers Jake Altholtz and Marcelo Marianoff agains La Mona Myr and Patty Colensky
- Ilai's Harkalive
- Marcelo's Classes
- Ariane's Classes
- Dances Taught at August 14-15, 2021 Machol Mile Chai with Marcelo Marianoff
- November 11-14, 2021 Chile Rokedet (Cancelled)
- Machol Merkaz 2021 Covid Update
Looking forward to seeing you all this week.
Our WhatsApp Group
I have started to use our WhatsApp Group, Chicago Israeli Dancing, more frequently - especially for time-critical communications. As an example, if we are able to dance outside, I will post the info there and will provide updates as needed. Chicago folks especially, I strongly encourage you to join the group. Of course, if you are not on WhatsApp yet, this is a prerequisite for joining the group. Once you are on WhatsApp, here is your invitation to join the group WhatsApp Invitation
Order Your CID Virtual T-Shirt
Our amazing Carol, has relaunched the t-shirt campaign for those who would like to order one.
|PREVIOUS WEEK 9/30 (AND RECORDINGS)|
The fun continued last week both live and on Zoom. It is so great to be able to dance in person together again.
Again, thanks again to all those from all over who joined us on Zoom. Many people logged in yet again! It was so great to see you, display you on the big screen and interact with you. I truly hope that those of you who cannot dance with us physically in Chicago will continue to be with us in the zoom. We'll try to keep it going as long as you all do!
To keep the zoom going, WE NEED SOME FINANCIAL SUPPORT. (Thanks to those who have done just that.) Here is how to help:
PayPal Direct Paypal Link or Chase Quickpay (Zelle) (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Venmo (PhilipBMoss - phone last 4: 8669)
Enjoy these recordings from last week. 😀😀😀
|Personals/Shout Outs |
Machol Merkaz is coming right up. Please sign up and join us while you still can.
Sending our deepest condolences to Einat and family on the passing of our good friend, Clyde Glen z"l
Mazal Tov to all the students in the course for Markidim/ Markidot from all over the world. Your culminating program was truly wonderful. Kol Hakavod! Enjoy these Facebook recordings of the Zoom event. Video 1 Video 2
Kol Hakavod to son Danny who has now led his first High Holiday services for his new congregation, Beth Tikva, in Madison Connecticut!
Big thanks to Rachael and Ben for this little guy who is now is 1!!! ❤❤❤
| SAVE THE DATE!!! DETAILS AND REGISTRATION AT: MACHOLMERKAZ.COM|
(with Tamir Shalev stepping in for Elad Shtamer)
|Publicizing Your Israeli Dance Events on chicagoisraelidancing.com|
|Hey fellow dance organizers, if you would like me to publicize your Israeli dance events on my website, it would be my pleasure. Send me a jpg and the details. Milwaukee, St. Louis, Indianapolis, etc? Go for it!|
As an example, in the adverts section too, this just in from the Twin Cities:
Israeli dance Zoom session with Shira Schwartz, from the Twin Cities, Minnesota. We dance on Sundays from 6:00 - 8:45 Central. All are welcome! Shira will teach/review one or two dances for the first half hour. Then, from about 6:30 to about 8:00 we do circle dances. For the rest of the evening we switch to partner dances. We also plan on a monthly Special Partner Dance workshop on a Saturday from 5:30 - 7:30, with dates to be announced.
Here is the link: zoom link Meeting ID: 831 0590 8998 Passcode: MNRoked
Sunday combined circles and partners session this week, 8/1. If you want to receive our weekly emails, with links and playlists, email Michael at email@example.com
Look for new updates from Cleveland and Denver too.
And please check out this link to the Adverts section on chicagoisraelidancing.com Aura Levin Lipski has a new place for you to post information about your business. And find other goodies there too!
|Report on Episode 6 of La Mona Myr's Riku meshuGAME on Saturday July 24. with new Challengers Jake Altholtz and Marcelo Marianoff, taking on La Mona and Patty Colensky!!!|
Congratulations to La Mona, Patty, Jake and Marcelo who all were fantastic in Episode 6. We look forward to the return of all three of La Mona's guests for the Challenge of the Champions. Here are the recordings:
Episode 6 Speaker View Episode 6 Gallery View
HARKALIVE is an international community of Israeli Dancing (and soon other dance styles!) with live and on-demand classes on a subscription model.
The platform is like a kind of Netflix but for dance. All members of Harkalive can join any of the weekly live sessions and have access to a library of over 40 hours of on-demand content including:
Here is the link to the website: https://harkalive.com
- Past sessions recordings
- Playlists, music, and videos of new dances
- Interviews with other choreographers
- Community Whatsapp group
- Special events
Live sessions are Mondays at 6.30 pm (Eastern time) General Level with Marina Halsman, Wednesdays at 2:30 pm (Eastern time) General level with Ilai Szpiezak, and Thursdays at 3:00 pm (Eastern time) Beginners with Ilai Szpiezak.
The idea is that if someone signs up, they can join any classes they want without spending anything more and we are able to support teachers to work while dancers can enjoy great dancing.
Dance should be available to everyone regardless of the location, level, and schedule and have the possibility to enjoy a great new way of dancing together.
Website | Facebook
Ariane's Classes (not sure if this info is current)
Bailarikud classes & Events
Bailarikud and Ariane invite you online to be all together, to bring smile and keep your feet moving.
Rikudei Am IFD
Wednesday 8pm-10pm Paris time
8pm 8.30pm Classes with beginner level (easy dances and nostalgia) from 8.30pm intermediate & advanced level.
Sets lead by Ariane and guests.
Teaching & review by Ariane
The IFD Bailarikud classes are free, for everyone.
Ask for being on our mailing list to receive our weekly newsletter.
Possibilities to donate, to help the association with financial things (zoom subscription, technical things..) through PayPal www.paypal.me/bailarikud
Sundays Request or Interview
From 6pm to 8pm.
Ask to receive the registration forms.
Gym Pilates Fitness
Every week, 5 sessions.
3 morning sessions (Tuesday - Thursday--Saturday 10.30am /2 evenings sessions Tuesday-Thursday 8pm)
150 euros/3month (unlimited classes)
Contact information at firstname.lastname@example.org
Every Thursday, 9pm.
Join us on Zoom to dance, have fun on Latin musics. With energy, brings your smile
Salsa online, bachata...
Fees 5 euros/class
45 euros/3 months
|August 14-15, 2021 Machol Mile Chai with Marcelo Marianoff|
| Dances Taught at Machol Mile Chai 2021|
Shemesh Tikanes / Dror Davidi and Gadi Bitton
Zricha / Daniela Welch
Gam Ani / Michael Barzilai
Lihiyot Smeicha / Ariane Butel
Lama Ze Magi'a Li / Ohad Atia
Shleimim (partner) / Dror Davidi and Gadi Bitton
Laila Li / Tamir Scherzer and Hila Menachem
Im Tirtzi / Dalia Maktubi
Go here for the latest and the registration link: http://chicagoisraelidancing.com/denver.html
|November 11-14, 2021 - Chili Rokedet (CANCELLED)|
First, I hope I find everyone healthy, that everything is well, both personally and professionally, and that you are surrounded by your loved ones.
We prayed and hoped that this year we would be able to hold our camp as planned, or even in a special format, adapted to the reality we live in today.
We have waited as much as possible, very optimistic, and have reached the moment when a decision must be made, and unfortunately, we are again forced to postpone the event to next year.
The current situation of Covid-19 in Chile has been improving day by day, but apparently, there is still a way to go. Currently, Chile's borders are still closed to foreigners from around the world. Only Chileans and permanent residents can leave and enter Chile, provided they are vaccinated, of course.
We are getting closer by leaps and bounds before the date of the camp, only 2 months before, and since there is still no deadline for the opening of the borders for foreigners (and without the need for isolation of 14 days), and given the fact that 90% of the participants are foreigners, we have no choice but to postpone the camp again.
For those of you who have registered and paid a deposit, we will contact everyone personally in the coming days.
Let's never lose hope because better days will come!
MACHOL MERKAZ 2021 COVID UPDATE (PUBLISHED ON 9/14/21)
|Latest Info Regarding Our Covid Protocols (including a REQUIRED PCR test in order to be admitted to camp)|
THIS IS OUR LATEST PROTOCOL INFORMATION (though still potentially subject to change). The key piece of news is that the PCR test (with negative results) will be required in order to gain admission to Machol Merkaz 2021. Please read all this carefully. There is a lot here:
We hope you are doing well, keeping safe, and are as excited as we are about Machol Merkaz! The team, both here and in Israel, is working hard to prepare yet another wonderful weekend. But we are also mindful of the latest developments regarding Covid. As you would expect, we are getting questions. So let’s jump in to this topic.
First off, safety is paramount and constantly on our minds. OSRUI managed to navigate the entire summer without a single Covid case among 1000 campers and staff. We feel good about what they have been able to do and will continue to do in terms of the precautions they take. (following FAQs you will find their Covid protocols).
1. Is Machol Merkaz Still Happening? – At this time, we are moving forward full speed with the assumption/belief that camp will happen as planned. Of course, this is subject to change based on the situation when we get closer to October 7 but for now we are good.
2. What Individual Precautions Are Required? – As you know, admission to Machol Merkaz is open only to those who are fully vaccinated for at least two weeks prior to applying for camp. There are no exceptions. Speaking only for myself, I am strongly in favor of getting the booster. On an anecdotal basis at least, this is surprisingly easy to do. Pharmacists seem to be anxious to get these shots into arms, irrespective of the “rules” and guidance which seem to vary by the minute anyway.
3. Will Testing Be Required? – THE ANSWER IS YES. WE ARE REQUIRING EVERYONE TO GET THE PCR TEST WITHIN 72 hours of coming to camp AND SUBMITTING YOUR NEGATIVE RESULTS TO PHIL VIA EMAIL OR WHATSAPP in order to attend camp. Please take the test on Monday for Thursday arrival, Tuesday for Friday arrival. As a fallback, if you don't have your results in time, please bring documentation of your PCR test and a rapid test kit with you to camp to take when you arrive. And as you know, this whole topic is under constant review for us. You may hear more about this as we get closer to camp. (It goes without saying that those with a positive COVID test or with any symptoms from the usual list, or recent exposure to infected people must cancel before even coming to camp.)
4. Will Masks Be Required? – Again, we don’t know yet. But probably not. In Wisconsin, at a minimum, we will conform to whatever the then prevailing rules are for the state and for OSRUI. (OSRUI’s Covid protocols are included below. They recommend, BUT DO NOT REQUIRE, the full time use of masks in common areas.) For our pre-camp Dance party in Chicago at the Bernard Weinger Northbrook JCC on the night of October 6, e MASKS (if that is the then current county policy in our geography) AND VAXES WILL BE REQUIRED .
5. What Will You Do If The Israeli Guests Cannot Attend? – As you most likely know, Israelis have been traveling and we have every expectation that our guests will be able to join us; we know they are looking forward to Machol Merkaz as much as we are! But if they cannot attend, AND it is still safe to conduct the camp, we would expect to proceed with Machol Merkaz. Of course, we would find creative ways to deal with their absence including maybe arranging for some kind of remote participation. Who knows? There is a tremendous amount of talent among our leadership team and campers. We could still have a great time without them, although admittedly quite different. Presumably, we would also make some kind of tuition rate reduction available if this happens.
6. What Are My Individual Legal Obligations? – Expect that you will be asked to sign a document that attests to your being Covid-free to the best of your knowledge. And assume that it will also include a “hold harmless” clause that will release OSRUI and Machol Merkaz from any liability associated with the situation.
7. What Is The Cancellation Policy? – The same as it has always been. You can cancel at any time and get a full refund (less processing fees) for payments you have made. Having said that, if the camp does happen, and you have to cancel for personal reasons very close to camp time, we may ask you to cover expenses that OSRUI may have to charge us on your behalf (such as the procurement of food), but we’ll figure that out at the time.
If you have further questions or comments, please get in touch with Phil at email@example.com or on WhatsApp at +1 312 519 8669
Hoping and expecting to see you all very soon.
On Behalf of the Machol Merkaz Team
OSRUI COVID PROTOCOLS
ADDENDUM TO SITE RENTAL AGREEMENT
The sanctity of human life, pikuach nefesh, is central to our tradition. The URJ is committed to protecting the health and safety of our Camp community and the greater community, including for our and visitors.
1. All URJ Staff members onsite will be vaccinated or, if not vaccinated, will be masked at all times indoors, and at all times outdoors when engaging with staff and visitors.
2. All URJ Staff onsite will have weekly Rapid Antigen Testing, and will exercise proper personal hygiene and hand washing.
3. The URJ Camp will provide clean, sanitized facilities and will ensure safe storage and use of cleaning and disinfectant products that meet or exceed all criteria of CDC guidance.
1. Any person with a fever may NOT enter or remain on the property.
2. Any person with symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, cough, or shortness of breath) may NOT enter or remain on the property.
3. Any person who has tested positive for COVID-19 within 14 days or has been exposed to someone with COVID-19 within the last 14 days may NOT enter or remain on the property.
4. Masks must be worn at all times in any marked spaces requiring them, including but not limited to the kitchen.
5. Per the site rental agreement, visitors must provide their own medical staff advisor onsite for the duration of their stay.
URJ Requests/Strongly Recommends: [NOT REQUIRED AT THIS TIME]
1. All groups are requested to perform an arrival health screening on all attendees. Health screenings include:
o A 72-hour (prior to arrival) PCR test with negative results
o Temperature check upon arrival
o Rapid antigen check upon arrival
2. All participants to be masked while indoors except while sleeping and eating. [NOT REQUIRED AT THIS TIME]
3. All participants to be vaccinated within availability and age restrictions.
URJ reserves the right to cancel any engagement or to change any terms of this addendum based upon the evolving COVID landscape and subject to changes based upon changing federal, state, local guidance.