Let's see...what "getting closer" might I be talking about? Well....if you have kids, you are probably soon to get into back to school mode, so that process is getting closer. If you love fall football, you are probably slogging through this latest heatwave with dreams of a crisp fall evening on your mind. That scenario is also getting closer. And...if you are a blues musician within 250 miles of Bentonville (the OBS home base) you are probably aware we are getting closer to Ozark Blues Society's annual Blues Challenge. So, if you or a band you know might be interested in taking the "Challenge" to be chosen as the NWA sponsored band, solo, or duo artist to the 2024 Internation Blues Challenge in Memphis, this "Getting Closer" is important to you! We will be kicking off the registration process on September 1st. Follow this newsletter and our website www.ozarkbluessociety.org
to keep on top of what you need to know about the OBS Challenge!
This week's new article highlights
This week you will find a brief "Mark Your Calendar" article for the OBS Blues Challenge. Next week we will feature an updated announcement.
The only returning articles this week are the links for the the ongoing music series in the area and the continuing article for the weekly Blues History feature from Big Train and the Loco Motives. Read on below for more information and to access these great blues history presentations.
Perhaps you are not seeing your favorite blues artist or venue listed in our calendar? We compile listings from local community calendars for our partner artists and venues throughout the area. Remember, artists and fans alike may send us blues event listings that may not appear in the community calendars. Just email SANDY to share
listings that include performances occurring from next weekend through the following weekend.
It's always important to say, this is YOUR newsletter! Please send questions, information, feedback, and suggestions our way. Just click below to email Sandy.
We appreciate our readers and want
to see your ideas included!
We have been receiving a number of questions about the 2023 Ozark Blues Society Blues Challenge. As a reminder, the date for the Challenge will be October 14th at the Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville.
We will be announcing more details beginning next week. Registration will be open from September 1-30, 2023.
Weekly Blues History Presented by
Big Train and the
Thank you Big Train Blues for permission to access and share these presentations! Find these weekly videos and more when you visit, like and follow Big Train and the Loco Motives at BIGTRAINBLUES.COM
HEY BLUES FANS - Here's the latest episode of "This Week In The Blues" for the week of July 16 through July 23, 2023. Some of the highlights include blues and soul singer Denise LaSalle, Chicago blues guitarist Buster Benton, and Jimi Hendrix & The Monkees...WHAT?
Watch this week's YouTube episode HERE
If you like blues history, Jimbo "Big Train" Madsen does a daily blues history post on the Big Train and the Loco Motives Facebook Page. You can follow their page HERE
They post a new episode each week. Jimbo says, "we’ll see you then!"
Please enjoy the following listings comprised
of bands, venues, and/or organizations that support Ozark Blues Society. Always check
with individual venues for event details
and schedule changes. Submit weekly listings by emailing: SANDY
- Alman Brothers Tribute Band for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Elizabeth Bainbridge at Sassafras Springs Winery in Springdale
- Jeron Marshall at the Music Depot in Rogers
- MK Ultra (Ben Miller + Pat Kay)for Railyard Live in Rogers
- Reeves Brothers at the Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Samantha Fish/Jesse Dayton at TempleLive in Fort Smith
- Dee Dee Jones at The Music Depot in Rogers
- Ted Hammig and the Campaign with Mildenhall for Railyard Live in Rogers
- Fayetteville Jazz Collective Big Band for North Forest Concert Series at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville
- Irie Lions for Mountain Street Stage Music Series at the Fayetteville Public Library in Fayetteville
- Arkansas Musicworks Brass Band at King Opera House in Fort Smith
- School of Rock Allstars at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Forte Quintet at the Lady Slipper in Bentonville
- Brick Fields Blues Therapy at Moranos in Fayetteville
- Ben Harris at Six-Twelve Coffeehouse and Bar in Fayetteville
- Shaun Munday/Carver Commodore for Live! at Turnbow Park in Springdale
- Eric Church/Midland/Ray Wylie Hubbard at the AMP in Rogers
- Songwriters in the Round at the Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Richard Burnett at JJ's Grill and Chill in Fort Smith
- Chubby Carrier for Happy Hour at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
- Steve Dixon at the Music Depot in Rogers
- Phase for Railyard Live in Rogers
- Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top at the AMP in Rogers
- Stanton Kessler and Horacecope at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville
- Flat Five Jazz Combo at Sassafras Springs Winery in Springdale
- Akeem Kemp at The Music Depot in Rogers
- The Uncrowned Kings for Railyard Live in Rogers
- Hunter Anderson Trio/Fayetteville Latin Jazz Group/Mountain Street Quintet for Arkansas Arts Academy Summer Music Series in Rogers
- Disturbed/Breaking Benjamin/JINJER at the AMP in Rogers
- School of Rock at the Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
- Blew Reed and the Flatheads at The Rowdy Beaver Tavern in Eureka Springs
Mark Your Calendar
8/4-5 Jazz Extravaganza for Railyard Live in Rogers
8/11 Bubba Sparxxx at the Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
8/12 Amy Winehouse Tribute at the Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
8/12 DITH: Drummers in the House Masterclass and Showcase at George's Majestic Lounge in Fayetteville
8/13 Riley Downing Band at the Meteor Guitar Gallery in Bentonville
8/26 Nick Mancini Collective at the WAC in Fayetteville
Please Submit Dates for Regional Blues Artists and Group Events HERE |
On this day
in Blues History
Today’s show features music performed by Clara Smith and Lena Horne
To Listen, Click
"You have to be taught to be second class; you're not born that way. But the slanting process is so subtle that you frequently don't realize how you're being slanted until very late in the game."
Get Involved with the Ozark Blues Society
Annual membership levels begin at $15 and give you so much in return, including meeting new friends while enjoying the best blues artists in the area.
Your membership support of Ozark Blues Society of Northwest Arkansas helps us pursue our mission to preserve the Original American Art Form known as The Blues, supports live blues performances, and provides educational programs for all ages.
Membership Benefits Include:
Opportunities to win tickets to events
VIP seating at events (when available)
Social networking – meeting other people who also love the blues
Opportunities to volunteer on OBS committees and at events
Ability to attend board meetings and vote on upcoming organizational issues and elections
Visit our Website to renew or join! Ozarkbluessociety.org
Thanks to the following for their support of blues education.
Please check back for updates